coprolites with seeds, near Flagstaff, AZ

NatalieinFlagstaff

Hello!  As a new member I am excited to learn from more experienced folks on this great forum.  We found these coprolites (I think that is what they are) near the Little Colorado River, near Gray Mountain, Arizona which is about 45 mins north of Flagstaff, Arizona.  They were both found on the surface.  We go to this area to rock hound for jasper, agate and petrified wood, which we find in plenty.  Can anyone tell me: 1. Are these coprolites? 2. What kind of seeds are fossilized? 3. Based on location and seed id, who pooped these out?  Thank you very much!  I am also about to post pics of what I think may be a large bone fragment found the same day and in the same location.  

20200523_172329.jpg

20200523_172414_HDR.jpg

20200523_172533_HDR.jpg

20200523_172502_HDR.jpg

20200523_172246.jpg

I’m no coprolite expert, but I know a girl. ;) 

@GeschWhat

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

It looks like a conglomerate with fractured quartz clasts in a mud to fine sand matrix. 

• I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I don't think it's a coprolite. I think the inclusions may be coral:

Screenshot_20200523-223555_Chrome.jpg.a5ff66e8f943d7d4153d0465ce711932.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you to FossilNerd, DPS Ammonite and Peat Burns for your input!

Natalie

25 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

I don't think it's a coprolite. I think the inclusions may be coral:

Screenshot_20200523-223555_Chrome.jpg.a5ff66e8f943d7d4153d0465ce711932.jpg

Good observation. Silicified fossils are likely since Permian Kaibab Limestone  (Pk) occurs in the area of Grey Mountain. The fossils could also be fusilinids or bryozoans.

The clasts did have odd shapes and it unusual to see a conglomerate with clasts so similar to each other. The matrix may be a limestone. 

E3C1BBC3-5562-4C33-88FC-244278ABCBE0.png

• I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

@Peat Burns and @DPS Ammonite thank you for your discussion!  Your comments made me look up "fusulinids".  Which I do believe is correct based on another fossil which I found in the same area.  This is a rock which went through my rock tumbler recently and revealed amazingly detailed little fossils which I could not identify.  Now I have a name to put to them.  Thanks again!  I am already learning, and very appreciative of your time :)

20200523_203605.jpg

20200523_203621.jpg

6 hours ago, NatalieinFlagstaff said:

@Peat Burns and @DPS Ammonite thank you for your discussion!  Your comments made me look up "fusulinids".  Which I do believe is correct based on another fossil which I found in the same area.  This is a rock which went through my rock tumbler recently and revealed amazingly detailed little fossils which I could not identify.  Now I have a name to put to them.  Thanks again!  I am already learning, and very appreciative of your time :)

Very cool! :)

You guys are fast! The first thing I saw was conglomerate. A close look at the more defined example had me hoping the conglomerate was made up of coprolites rather than seeds. But the faint striations had me thinking coral as well. As already discussed, most of the inclusions in you polished sample are fusilinids. It is hard to tell for sure, but could a stray invertebrate coprolite made it into the mix or is this just wishful thinking on my part? :D

Possible pellet.jpg