Damage at Crystal Palace

Tidgy's Dad

Very sad news, but I have faith that something this vital to the national esprit will see so many able-bodied persons volunteering to restore this monument. It will happen!

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

That kinda makes me angry. Those have stood there for years :(.

Indeed.

Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but I rather hope it was natural damage. 

It is stated in the article that there were already cracks in this area and looking at the photo, plants have been growing in the cracks. 

Plant roots, cracks, high winds. Hopefully, natural breakage and will be fixed soon, as Kane says. :)

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Indeed.

It is stated in the article that there were already cracks in this area and looking at the photo, plants have been growing in the cracks. 

Plant roots, cracks, high winds. Hopefully, natural breakage and will be fixed soon, as Kane says. :)

I hope that it will be fixed as well but it does indeed look a lot like vandalism. Big shame.

• I found this Informative 1

The only statement in the article that suggests that the damage was due to vandalism is an ambiguous statement that the police are looking into it as a possible "heritage crime".  It's clear from the photos that the sculpture was in poor condition and the damage could well be natural.  It should surprise no-one that if you have big cracks with plants growing in them in a concrete structure it will fail sooner or later.  It seems to me that if criminal activity is to be investigated, that should include very poor maintenance of these historic sculptures.

Don

• I found this Informative 5

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Indeed.

I was also reading about the Globe Theatre being in jeopardy (I heart BBC!). When it comes to heritage, the UK are not known for letting things like this go. There will and must be a restoration. If it was vandalism, I very much hope the culprits are caught and brought to justice. Either way, there will be no shortage of hands to restore this historic marvel. The Crystal Palace has a fascinating history for those keen on reading up on it, and it is said that it was one of the reasons Marx's manifesto failed to gain much purchase among the people of England.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Really sad been there many times. It will be repaired. In lockdown most crime is down but antisocial behaviour is up in the U.K. . Idiots 

• I found this Informative 3

Hope it is natural damage. And hope it gives whoever is responsible for looking after them a kick up the backside to start repairing them because they're falling to bits. They definitely need some love and care and restoration.