Why do you collect fossils?

ReeseF

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum recently, which is a terrible shame, but I will make much more of an effort to be online in the future!

I am currently sketching out a small project that, in part, addresses why people collect fossils. At this point I am mostly interested in very brief, oral-history style vignettes on what kinds of fossils you collect, your self-assessment of you collect them, and your knowledge of and experience with fake fossils. If anyone is interested I would love to hear from you!

Good question, I've been wondering that about myself lately...

Is this something that will end up as a presentation in some form, made public or used to defend the interests of fossil collectors in the face of restrictive legislation?

53 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Good question, I've been wondering that about myself lately...

Is this something that will end up as a presentation in some form, made public or used to defend the interests of fossil collectors in the face of restrictive legislation?

57 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

Interesting. Are you wanting to do this project as videos or written out with photos or what?

Right now I am interested in written responses that will be part of just an academic course paper, though pictures of particular pieces would be excellent! If I do end up reworking the project into anything publicly available I will reach out to confirm beforehand.

A much longer-term project is looking at the relationship between avocational collectors and academic paleontologists that will be public, and I will certainly follow up.

• I found this Informative 1

OK.

About the vocational/avocational thing, you might already know about this topic that is happening right now, and others like it that have come out in the past, which contain thoughts on that and related matters:

• I found this Informative 2