Ammonite Quality and Restoration Advice

Cdfossil

Hello,

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for their continued support in answering questions for someone who has now ventured into fossil hunting and procurement. 

I purchased the attached ammonite pair some time ago and I would like to get advice on quality and possible additional restoration I can do on my own.  I’m not sure if I can get the dull face better polished.  I’m also not sure what to do with the external sides.

Is this also a very good quality specimen and therefore,  I should put further interest in getting the pair in better Condition? 

That may be a loaded question as it may be simply a matter of opinion but I’m just interested in professionals’ advice. 

C84C13CE-59B1-4A59-AD76-E05BC42B460A.jpeg

@Cdfossil If you would make a photo of the reverse sides, then maybe I could attempt an identification. It looks to me as if the ammonite has been cut, but not yet sanded and polished. If you have no machinery yourself to do this, then I would suggest finding someone who could do the work for you, since it would be worth it in my opinion. You could theoretically do the work yourself using first coarse, then middle, then fine abrasives on a glass plate and finishing off with polishing, but by the looks of the size of that thing it would take ages to get the work done and tennis elbow would set in before you've even finished the first step. You'd also need to have some experience in order to get it done right, which is why I'm recommending you find someone who knows what he or she is doing.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks for you advice @Ludwigia.  Appreciate the support.  Please see attached reverse sides.

Let me know your. Further thoughts. 

0E0CC8BE-434F-48F1-910E-9FE7E1711359.jpeg

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

9 hours ago, Cdfossil said:

Thanks for you advice @Ludwigia.  Appreciate the support.  Please see attached reverse sides.

Let me know your. Further thoughts. 

0E0CC8BE-434F-48F1-910E-9FE7E1711359.jpeg

Aha! That appears to be a Mammites nodosoites from the Moroccan Late Cretaceous.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/