Bone Fragment From Post Oak Creek, TX

FossilHunterNYC

Can anyone help me identify this bone fragment ? It’s from Sherman, TX at Post Oak Creek. It’s drying right now from being in the stream. Is it fossilized ? Modern ? Bison ? Cow? 

9A0ACDEB-7F74-4819-A996-8B0A429D4264.jpeg

4767A04B-0605-46CB-A863-8BCC1B8CA0AC.jpeg

58072FE2-4009-4E2C-A737-19A20D00038D.jpeg

If it is fossilized, it's from the Pleistocene. I don't think it can be nailed down to a specific mammal. If you wish, you can sacrifice a small area to find out if this bone is fossilized. If you put a small flame to the bone and it smells like hair burning, it's probably modern. Otherwise, it's a fossil. 

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

looks modern to me as it seems cut, hit it with a mettle spoon and if it sounds like china it is mineralised

Someone in another group said it was cow bone. Darn !!! Thought I had something 

We’ve all been there before :thumbsu:

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."