Help to ID: Dino bone with skin mark?

Feblover

Call for help to ID, a piece of Dino Bone with special marks on the bone surface. It's roughly 15 cm long, and was dug out from Southern China, near Myanmar. It's with very little surrounding rocks. Gut feeling it's part of woodstone or tree fossil, then figured out there is layer of bone shell, and the marks on the surface seems very distinctive for bone fossils, maybe from dinosaur skin. Look forward to your comments,

a new memeber of the forum, thanks. 

IMG_20200522_175445.jpg

I don't think that's skin. It looks to be part of the bone. Some animals have various patterns in some places on their bones. Turtle shells would be an example that often have patterns like this. Crocs also have rough bone texture on their skulls. And some dinosaurs also have a similar condition.

• I found this Informative 5

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Very cool specimen.  Agree not skin but have never seen that uniform of a dimple pattern on bone any chance its not bone even though it looks like it.

• I found this Informative 1

22 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I don't think that's skin. It looks to be part of the bone. Some animals have various patterns in some places on their bones. Turtle shells would be an example that often have patterns like this. Crocs also have rough bone texture on their skulls. And some dinosaurs also have a similar condition.

Thanks, very helpful, I will try to find more information on the "patterns on bone" part. 

15 hours ago, Troodon said:

Very cool specimen.  Agree not skin but have never seen that uniform of a dimple pattern on bone any chance its not bone even though it looks like it.

Thanks, the interesting part to me is also the pattern in surface, it's quite special for bone fossil, I've looked into several reference books for similar thing, unfortunately, no luck. 

Some amphibians and fish also have patterns on their skulls.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Welcome to the forum!  As soon as I saw this I thought it looked like a chunk of turtle shell.  Here's a piece of turtle shell from Hell Creek for comparison.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 12.08.52.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 12.09.00.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Besides the turtle or croc fossil suggestion, could it be a tree bark?

What fossils are known from the area where this was found?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

5 hours ago, westcoast said:

Could it be a sponge??

dunt think so, does sponge fossil have similar internal texture or tissue patterns?

4 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Some amphibians and fish also have patterns on their skulls.

thanks, will look into those options.

44 minutes ago, DinoFossilsUK said:

Welcome to the forum!  As soon as I saw this I thought it looked like a chunk of turtle shell.  Here's a piece of turtle shell from Hell Creek for comparison.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 12.08.52.jpg  Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 12.09.00.jpg

Noted, thanks. but the piece I presented is with sorts of internal tissue-like thing as indicated in the attached new pic, no clue what's that. And the shell part is too thin to be turtle shell.

IMG_20200527_194055.jpg

28 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Besides the turtle or croc fossil suggestion, could it be a tree bark?

What fossils are known from the area where this was found?

yes! that was my first thought when i looked at this piece, and i bought it with a tree fossil price tag, but seems its from certain animal as the discussion continues.

The shell on mine is around 1-2mm and I'm wondering if the internal tissue you describe is just bone (but preserved in a different way to say mine from Hell Creek).  As you can see, the Hell Creek one has bone structure beneath the shell, just preserved in a different way.  Croc is another candidate too though, just thought I'd offer the turtle shell for comparison.

4 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

What is the age?

It's said the rock formation of this piece is about late cretaceous. 

8 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

So the pattern is on both sides?

Nope, cover all one side, and some on the other side (leftover seems lik bone marrow or muscle? dunt no. ), see pic in Reply 2, and Reply 4. 

Perhaps the bone is the matrix for some mineral and its creating that snowy layer effect? :zzzzscratchchin: