Bone marrow crystallization? Or...pet wood?

KingsburyFossilHunter

Hi everyone! We made another trip to the Brazos River off I10 in Texas a few days ago. One can find bones etc from the Pleistocene there. The water was up a bit, but we still found some interesting items.

The most interesting thing we found was this fragment, it is kind of flat, I keep thinking rib bone. What is super interesting is what would be the interior (if it were marrow). It is white, and seems to have veins running through it. Have any of you seen anything like this, and is it possible that during fossilization crystals filled in the marrow part and that may be the original structure? Or - is it something else that I don't know of? Photo attached.

And thanks!

_MG_4444-Edit.jpg

Cool! There is definitely tons of pet wood also at this site - all different kinds. 

• KingsburyFossilHunter changed the title to Bone marrow crystallization? Or...pet wood?

I see a piece of fragmented cancellous bone.  The white color is not related to marrow; it is the result of mineral deposition in the tiny cavities.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I see a piece of fragmented cancellous bone.  The white color is not related to marrow; it is the result of mineral deposition in the tiny cavities.

Could be alright. I've seen the type of preservation more often in plant material is why plant came to mind probably.

It does pass the 'lick' test, on the ends, and is spongy (not textured like pet wood w fibers). 

On 5/26/2020 at 6:01 PM, JohnJ said:

Seconding this. This is definitely a chunk of bone.