Juvenile meg tooth and some other fossils! - North Florida

FossilChick1996

Hey all, 

It's been a while! I stopped posting on the forum for a bit, but the fossil hunting never ceased! Here are a few photos of some of the fossils we've found over the past few months (all found at the same location). Our biggest prize was obviously the juvenile meg (Photos #1 and #2). We're still holding out on this spot for a huge, adult meg...but until then, we've kept ourselves busy finding plenty of bull shark teeth - with amazing coloration (Photo #3)...who knew I could love yellow teeth this much?! In general, the fossils we find at this location have the most remarkable coloration; almost all of the dugong bones we find (and that's A LOT) have a deep red tint to them. In fact, this tiger shark tooth we found has hints of that same red color (Photo #4). What's interesting is that, on one side of the river, the teeth we find are tinted red, but on the other side they are either blue or yellow (small blue lemon shark tooth pictured in Photo #5). And can I just mention how many, and how amazing, the fossilized gar scales we find here are (Photo #6)? It's incredible! 

Happy hunting!

-AG

• I found this Informative 2

35 minutes ago, FossilChick1996 said:

Tiger shark

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.19.35 PM.png

Great haul! You made some really nice finds! I like the tiger shark tooth. 

Very pretty color on those. Each area of Florida seems to have it's own color variations in their creek and river fossils. Bone Valley teeth tend to look different than Gainesville or Panhandle teeth. It's fascinating and I enjoy seeing the different variations on color. Even those gar scales have a pretty tint to them.

Great finds and beautiful colors :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!