Small ornithopod/parkosaur vert?

FF7_Yuffie

Hello, this vert is from Two Medicine formation.

5 x 3.7 cm. Seller doesn't know exact species. Just small ornithopod or parkosaur.

It's a nice little fossil in matrix so if it isn't croc or anything, I will add to the buy list.

Thanks for the help!

Screenshot_20200527-173435_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200527-173408_Chrome.jpg

The small ornithpod from the Two Medicine Fm is Orodromeus not Parkosaurus and we have a pretty good understanding what the vertebrae look like.  Yours may be one but with all the matrix on it makes its difficult to positively assign.  It also looks like a portion of one side is missing.

Here are the images you can try to compare against.

Screenshot_20200527-031835_Drive.jpg.c16917311f31bf9d8d42ae96acfc8dcf.jpgScreenshot_20200527-031900_Drive.thumb.jpg.547e873543df90947b1d034d871c06a9.jpgScreenshot_20200527-031936_Drive.thumb.jpg.b444d8bd64615744b3e48ec6f4497792.jpg

Scheetz, R.D., 1999, Osteology of Orodromeus makelai and the phylogeny of basal ornithopod dinosaurs D. Ph. Thesis in Biology, Montana State University, Bozeman, 189 pp

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

Cheers.

Looking at the diagram posted, mine seems flat at the front and back whicj I think rules out Fig. 12. 

Fig 15, vert D4 dorsal vertebra seems a match? Concave in the middle, flat front and back.

Seller has sent more pics. Am I right in being confident that it is dinosaur rather than croc? Aren't croc verts from North America usually ball and socket, which this isn't?

P5250028.JPG

P5250027.JPG

P5250025.JPG

Yes ball and socket for Crocs.  Stil too much matrix for me to make a call.  Boy he should clean it first before he decided to sell it.

• I found this Informative 1

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Yes ball and socket for Crocs

Cheers. So, this I can rule out croc.

Nice, given the location and size,  I think Orodroneus. 

It doesn't look hadrosaur  (at least ones I see elsewhere) and none of the other species seem to fit.

Sellers description says Parkosaurid, rather than specifically Parkosaurus. So that seems to match too.

It looks like it has fragments of ossified tendons attached to the top portion of the centrum near the neural canal. Also, the rough/wrinkly texture near the ends of the centrum are typical in animals similar to Orodromeus/Oryctodromeus/Zephyrosaurus/Parksosaurus/Thescelosaurus. So I think a parksosaur type orodromine is a good possibility. The vert looks to be a posterior dorsal.

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Wayan Man said:

It looks like it has fragments of ossified tendons attached to the top portion of the centrum near the neural canal. Also, the rough/wrinkly texture near the ends of the centrum are typical in animals similar to Orodromeus/Oryctodromeus/Zephyrosaurus/Parksosaurus/Thescelosaurus. So I think a parksosaur type orodromine is a good possibility. The vert looks to be a posterior dorsal.

Nice, thanks for your help. I will add the vert to my buy list. The seller has a few bits that I want, so gonna order in bulk from him once I decide which exactly to get.

I'll pop this one in. it's a nice little vert from an unusual species.

• 10 months later...
On 5/27/2020 at 10:42 AM, FF7_Yuffie said:

Nice, thanks for your help. I will add the vert to my buy list. The seller has a few bits that I want, so gonna order in bulk from him once I decide which exactly to get.

I'll pop this one in. it's a nice little vert from an unusual species.

Hi, did you finally buy it? I was looking for information and it seems I bought this specific fossil myself a few weeks ago. Maybe I bought it from you but you seem to live in Taiwan? I found and bought it in Spain... Cheers.

'It was life, Jim. But not as we know it.'

13 hours ago, charlie3425 said:

Hi, did you finally buy it? I was looking for information and it seems I bought this specific fossil myself a few weeks ago. Maybe I bought it from you but you seem to live in Taiwan? I found and bought it in Spain... Cheers.

Hi, nope, I gave it a pass because of the high postage from Spain to Taiwan. I've since started having them sent to the UK to cut down the high postage

Its a nice fossil, though, from a more unusual species.

• Thank You 1