ID on fossil bone, Calvert Cliffs

Clint08

I found this along Calvert cliffs area north of Matoaka Cabins. I not sure what kind of bone it is or what it is from after trying to research.

C7E091BF-791C-4255-A89F-C05B02B39CD4.jpeg

6681908E-A109-4CFD-8BC1-C22FF3FCEBA4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

some type of bony scute, looks modernish to me, if fossilized could be turtle related? no idea really though:P

It reminds me of a patella

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

That's unusual.  Not a patella, nor is it a epiphysis of any familiar land mammal -- all those bones have contoured surfaces.  Maybe @will stevensonhas the right idea in suggesting a turtle bone epiphysis (which tend to be much less contoured).  But, I don't know with any confidence.

patellae.thumb.jpg.78ee15bdcb5494981594775c0f2587ce.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I wonder if this could be one of the pebbly bits of osteoderm from the head shield of a molid sunfish...

• I found this Informative 6

2 hours ago, Boesse said:

I wonder if this could be one of the pebbly bits of osteoderm from the head shield of a molid sunfish...

Was thinking the same thing, it’s got the right texture. Mola pileata is the only sunfish currently known from the chop tank FM, but considering Ranzania species are known from both the Calvert and St. Mary’s Fm, it’s likely they are present as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My first thought was proximal human femoral epiphysis. Glad it's a fish bone instead.

6 minutes ago, Scylla said:

My first thought was proximal human femoral epiphysis. Glad it's a fish bone instead.

I am glad it is a fish bone as well lol. 

2 hours ago, Boesse said:

11 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

That's unusual.  Not a patella, nor is it a epiphysis of any familiar land mammal -- all those bones have contoured surfaces.  Maybe @will stevensonhas the right idea in suggesting a turtle bone epiphysis (which tend to be much less contoured).  But, I don't know with any confidence.

patellae.thumb.jpg.78ee15bdcb5494981594775c0f2587ce.jpg

11 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Which bones?  Does either of you have an illustration?

5ecfe2d2f17fb_molamola.thumb.jpg.023edf40a912851acb85a62c2636b967.jpg

Thank you all for the insight and replies! Much appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Which bones?  Does either of you have an illustration?

Here’s a partial dermal shield from Westmoreland area (H and I). I found a jugular plate (F and G) last week.

49EC1322-691C-4201-A631-B7A4B12A8560.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

50 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I do not see the resemblance to the mystery bone.

It is in the bone density and texture, keep in mind the bone in question would just be a singular part of the shield. They vary by position. Here’s a singular part.

@MarcoSr has seen more than I, perhaps he could confirm or deny

35000CAF-BDEF-433F-B631-87148E96484B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Here’s a partial dermal shield from Westmoreland area (H and I). I found a jugular plate (F and G) last week.

49EC1322-691C-4201-A631-B7A4B12A8560.jpeg

I agree that it looks like one of these sunfish bones. I’ve only found one (similar to the bone shown in F and G, but I forget the name). However the texture and overall “feel” is very unique and unusual, and this bone looks like it has that “feel”

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

It is in the bone density and texture, keep in mind the bone in question would just be a singular part of the shield. They vary by position. Here’s a singular part.

35000CAF-BDEF-433F-B631-87148E96484B.jpeg

These look like the same texture as the bone in question.

I still don't know what the disc may be, but the evidence for mola mola bone is weak.  "this bone looks like it has that “feel”  is oxymoronic.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

57 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I still don't know what the disc may be, but the evidence for mola mola bone is weak.  "this bone looks like it has that “feel”  is oxymoronic.

Very true, I should have chosen better wording:DOH:

17 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I haven't found any ocean sunfish bones similar to the bone in this post so I really can't help.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png