Torie

Found in Jackson County Missouri (I didn't find it myself, but I can most likely get more info on location it was found.) I do believe it was found in a dirt road alley. 

Long dark grey and brown striations, that cannot be scratched with my nail. Then on one side in a few large chunks, an orange/brown (rust colored) residue, that can be scratched off. 

I thought my pictures were going to look much better than this. :heartylaugh: So I can get better pictures ASAP if need be. 

Let me know any other information I need to provide. Thank you for looking!

Hope everyone is safe and healthy out there!

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5600.jpg

I believe this is a banded chert ("flint") known locally as Mosarkite.  The brown material is the calcite/limestone matrix that this material is formed in.  Let's see if others don't agree.

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

I believe this is a banded chert ("flint") known locally as Mosarkite.  The brown material is the calcite/limestone matrix that this material is formed in.  Let's see if others don't agree.

Thank you so much Grandpa!

Wonderful, I have other little pieces of flint, this is definitely the largest I have, such a cool piece.

Ah, I figured limestone, only because you can't go five steps without stepping on some limestone out here:heartylaugh:

Thank you again!

• I found this Informative 1

27 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

+1 for flint/chert

Thank you! I appreciate it! Such a beautiful piece :b_love1: 

Yes, definitely chert. I see this all the time when I was at KSU in Manhattan, KS.

3 minutes ago, Darbi said:

Yes, definitely chert. I see this all the time when I was at KSU in Manhattan, KS.

Thank you so much! Oh that's very cool you saw it everywhere, it is a gorgeous mineral. I need to make my way over there sometime to check it out.