Cladodont Tooth - First Prep

Titan

Found this guy whilst walking to the mailbox. Probably the most exciting random and unexpected find I've had to date. I turned over a flake of limestone that had separated from a larger section lining my driveway and there it was. It's roughly 1 cm by 1 cm. Here it is after some light roughing out.

1.thumb.jpg.26b7a2c6f54cfc2cc9eb30c20754e13a.jpg

I am very happy the right side cusplet survived!

2.thumb.jpg.5d756ca4b6a609f75627342fcb8a3e04.jpg 

Interesting - unsure what this is and if I should spend the time trying to expose it further.

3.thumb.jpg.0c72c6f34dd958469cc2631d0d1d2276.jpg

Specimen as it is now. Still needs a lot more work.

4.thumb.jpg.0b6e04282ceb283dc1a0296acc03f9d9.jpg

I'm hesitant to progress further until I decide how I want to display it. I can't decide if I'll leave the other fossils around it or not, but I am leaning on doing so. What do you think?

• I found this Informative 7

Great find!

The item in the upper left looks like a bryozoan. 

Looks like this could use some air abrasion to finish it off. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What a great find! Best guess is Glikmanius occidentalis.

hp4.thumb.png.1afc79e426d0af093d20a576d912b900.png

From the Handbook of Paleoichthyology Vol. 4.
  • I found this Informative 2

@Fossildude19Thanks! You're absolutely right. I've got mine set up but need to get a compressor and learn how to use it properly. My blast box is about 90% done. So far I'm just working with a pin vice but can't wait for some better tools.

@connorpThank you and thanks for that information! I originally had Pennsylvanian and Carboniferous in the tags but removed them as I actually don't know where the limestone came from. That info is very helpful. I suspect it's from my property when the previous owner did landscaping which would make it upper Pennsylvanian, but honestly don't know. I plan to break apart the parent rock some more to see if I can find more of something :fingerscrossed:

2 hours ago, Titan said:

I'm hesitant to progress further until I decide how I want to display it. I can't decide if I'll leave the other fossils around it or not, but I am leaning on doing so. What do you think?

Awesome random find, and a good first prep. :) 

I would keep the other fossil. I’m fond of associations like this in the same block.

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, Titan said:

@connorpThank you and thanks for that information! I originally had Pennsylvanian and Carboniferous in the tags but removed them as I actually don't know where the limestone came from. That info is very helpful. I suspect it's from my property when the previous owner did landscaping which would make it upper Pennsylvanian, but honestly don't know.

Pennsylvanian would be my guess. That said I’m not super familiar with the strata in your area. Perhaps @Missourian could weigh in.

@FossilNerdThank you! It's fun to be prepping after reading prepping posts for so long. Thanks also for your input. I think I will leave them all in and maybe work a bit more on exposing them. I too enjoy the multiple species in one block look.

@connorpIf its from my property it's upper pennsylvanian, but the parent block isn't in situ anymore. It's been moved to it's current location. Unfortunately unless I can uncover some exact marker species that places it into a specific period I'm not sure I'll ever know. Maybe I can expose some other species and narrow it down.

@deutscheben Thank you! Me too :) Thank you also for the comparison, that is really helpful and your thread is exceptional - thank you for sharing that. I think the ID is solid and I am labeling mine as a Glikmanius occidentalis as well.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, connorp said:

Pennsylvanian would be my guess. That said I’m not super familiar with the strata in your area. Perhaps @Missourian could weigh in.

If it's a loose fragment, it could have come from anywhere, but most likely it came from the KC area. If so, it definitely is Pennsylvanian, and from the Kansas City Group or the Lansing Group.

Context is critical.