A curious Tooth

Shellseeker

Found last week in a "mixture" environment that has Pleistocene and Miocene fossils, more of the latter.

Curious because the root end (photo #1) seems to have an odd dentine, cementum circular pattern.

Curious because the tip (photo #2) seems to have a narrow enamel or dentine covering over a core

Curious because in photo #3 , right at the break, there appear to be small "crimps"

Curious because I have not seen a fossil tooth like this one.

My initial reaction was canine, but incisor is a possibility.

All assistance and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Jack

SmCanine1.JPG.969d06200bcd46f5e64b3d9da926f33d.JPGSmCanine2.JPG.96bbf2bc0dfaaff3084c87db0bae3ffa.JPGSmCanine3.JPG.576459f7947f2b310926ad4e238b0fc2.JPG

SmCanine7.JPG

SmCanine8.JPG

SmCanine6.JPG

SmCanine5.JPG

SmCanine4.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Just throwing out a WAG, peccary? The wear looks like it could be from grinding against the opposing tooth. 

1 hour ago, garyc said:

Just throwing out a WAG, peccary? The wear looks like it could be from grinding against the opposing tooth. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

What has teeth with a serrated cingulum?  I can't think of any.

Thanks to both,  I was about to ask Gary if he was speculating the smaller incisor...

peccary-dentition-Charles-Knight-1849-Aug-2011.jpg.6c8a6889299a3f43ea3a8aeeeffd1d5a.jpg5ed0661eb6591_PeccaryTeethPlainTayassutajacu.jpg.cd4231c3d1628034b263a27961e94057.jpg

The smaller incisor would be about the right size... I found a Platygonus bicalaratus molar in a Pliocene site a couple of years back. At least , it is a candidate, but I must agree with Harry,  I know of no teeth that have serrations where these are.  The only mammal teeth I know with serrations are Xenosmilus Hudsonae incisors.

Thanks Harry,  gets me more excited about the possibilities.

I would go to Hulbert at this point but he seems to be othewise engaged ..  @digit

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Are the "serrations" an illusion of light on linear cracks?  Is this an oddly cracked horse incisor or something similar?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

17 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Are the "serrations" an illusion of light on linear cracks?  Is this an oddly cracked horse incisor or something similar?

I can not provide better photos of this  tooth.  I do not think it is an illusion.  Something that looks like serrations is present on the enamel. It might be an effect of that occurred at the breakage.  Even that would be beyond my understanding up to this point.

I'll soon be living (and working) much closer to Richard Hulbert and may have better channels to his vast knowledge base.  ;)

I've heard he is working alone at the museum's new facility organizing things after the expansion and consolidation into this new building. He's fairly busy at the present but he should have good access to email so you might want to send him some of the photos--possibly with as good of an image as you can muster of the crown.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, digit .  To Harry's point, 

Here is an example of a homotherium incisor tooth. It has serrations up each side, but not necessarily serrations along the cingulum.

DC_2KE-WsAIZ6rJHomotherium.jpg.d1f9c80a6a464fcf0710ba844b45d820.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I didn’t even see the serrations. 

1 hour ago, garyc said:

I didn’t even see the serrations. 

They are difficult to see with the naked eye.  Photo enlargements help.  I am beginning to believe. It is an adult tooth on the left , approximately 2x the size of this tooth which measures 23.4 mm

ToothSbyS.jpg.20e44f2bcd69e44e8db39be65b7e3f94.jpgLeiseyShellPitsHillsboroughCountyFlorida_AnnalisaBerta.JPG.4e1a5074d3d6d20e34627ba5c1cc7f2e.JPG

17 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Some extinct Odobenids had a denticulated lingual cingulum on premolars and molars, and some modern Otariids still do. 

In this case, one wonders if the serrated appearance might instead be the base of longitudinal enamel wrinkles.  I think garyc and Shellseeker might be headed in the right direction with incisor and Platygonus

15 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks, digit .  To Harry's point, 

Here is an example of a homotherium incisor tooth. It has serrations up each side, but not necessarily serrations along the cingulum.

DC_2KE-WsAIZ6rJHomotherium.jpg.d1f9c80a6a464fcf0710ba844b45d820.jpg

Is that a double-rooted incisor, or a trick of the light, or crushed?  

5 minutes ago, jpc said:

Is that a double-rooted incisor, or a trick of the light, or crushed?  

Internet sources:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Homotherium-latidens-dentition-a-485-cm-long-fragment-of-an-upper-canine-lateral-and_fig3_283293453

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1040618216304451

@Boesse has a comment on the next Twitter thread. Good to check with him.

18 minutes ago, sagacious said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Some extinct Odobenids had a denticulated lingual cingulum on premolars and molars, and some modern Otariids still do. 

In this case, one wonders if the serrated appearance might instead be the base of longitudinal enamel wrinkles.  I think garyc and Shellseeker might be headed in the right direction with incisor and Platygonus

There is certainly longitudinal enamel wrinkles from this molar found a couple of years back. I will search for an incisor.

2018Jan1stPlatygonus_bicalaratus.thumb.jpg.f7fe94917ea30db522b513af988ae018.jpg