Is This Fossilized Coral or Bone or Cement

NJArtifactFinder

Hello Everyone,

I am so thankful for your insight.  I have recently purchased a few books on Indian Artifacts and look forward to reading them so as to stop pestering.  

Anyway,

In Florida on my own property I found several interesting and beautiful things after Irma.  Our property on Marco took a direct hit and many of the trees on our property  and the Seawall went into our garage.  I ventured outside  to see what I could find. 

Can someone please tell me if this is Fossilized Coral or Fossilized Bone?  My brother thinks it is cement.  I think its an animal skull, and my husband thinks it coral.  In picture 4 there are several deep gouges or ciuts.

I will be posting some other pictures of things I found in Florida and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Fossil Coral or Bone 3.jpg

Fossil Coral or Bone 8.jpg

Fossil Coral or Bone 7.jpg

Fossil Coral or Bone 6.jpg

Fossil Coral or Bone 5.jpg

Fossil Coral or Bone 4.jpg

Fossil Coral or Bone 2.jpg

Fossil Coral or Bone 1.jpg

Hi Darbi,

Thank you for your insight.  What about the shape of it?  And it appears to have agatized in some spots.

You're welcome and also welcome to TFF! The shape is caused by actions of water, I see all different kinds of shape, like this one, in the rivers all the time. Yes, it's probably pieces or nodules of chert embedded in limestone.

A very artsy piece, that would look nice in a rock garden!  Definitely not a skull, and it doesn’t look like cement or concrete either. I think @Darbi is probably correct that it is limestone, the only thing I would add is there are certain places that look like they could be coral or have coral fragments in them. Sort of like a chunk of a coral reef tumbled around and washed ashore. 

This is usually a limestone/calcite combination. It is much harder than the limestone that eroded away. Sometimes flintstones chunks can also be found within these type of rocks. I think the dark grey chunks are in fact flint stone.