blizzardstorm06

Creek Cookies

blizzardstorm06

Can anyone help me identify this "cookie"?  We think it is a vertebra.  It was found in southern Maryland in the Miocene clay formation.

20200501_132555.jpg

Shellseeker

It is an epiphysis.

" Epiphysis, expanded end of the long bones in animals, which ossifies separately from the bone shaft but becomes fixed to the shaft when full growth is attained. "

The 1st one I discovered was the epiphysis of a whale vertebrae, in common terms , a "cookie"  Please search the fossil forum for the word "cookie".  You will find some.

Then I found an epiphysis, not a cookie and not from a whale..  and realized it was more complex than I had thought.

NICE find

Darktooth

It is called an epiphysis it is part of the vertabrae that eventually fuses to another vertebrae as the animal gets older. This one looks to be in great condition

Darktooth

@Shellseeker beat me to it!:)

Tidgy's Dad

Nice find! :)

Shellseeker
On 5/29/2020 at 4:50 PM, blizzardstorm06 said:

Can anyone help me identify this "cookie"?  We think it is a vertebra.  It was found in southern Maryland in the Miocene clay formation.

So,  we have many examples of whale "cookies. 

Here is one of mine. These are very distinctive on both sides... please show us the other side of your cookie.

I found another mammal's epiphysis, and it is not whale because it is different.  I posted it on TFF asking for an ID, but that never happened.  You can see it here.

CeteceaEpiphysisTxt.jpg.8457fb1a432e5b77b306d5a697c55ddc.jpg

I do not think that your cookie is from a whale either.  Maybe @Boesse can help us. He is an expert on marine mammals.

Boesse

OP's epiphysis is from a juvenile or small baleen whale or possibly a very large odontocete (e.g. Squalodon, Orycterocetus).