Lucky Hexanchus find at Sharktooth Hill

ScottM

I have found several smaller fragments before, but never an intact one. This one turned up at the end of a very long day and I fortunately spotted it as my son was shoveling matrix into the sifting table. I startled him mid-shovel by shouting "STOP!" when I saw a row of white points sticking out of some matrix. Son was just about to throw another shovelful on top of it. Nice reflexes by him to change course mid-air to avoid me (now shielding the tooth with my body - LOL). Worth it.  :-)

2796.thumb.jpg.d224f6d287aa8165ed89079b295cc94c.jpg

Definitely had potential but I didn't know how much root was going to remain. After some careful cleaning I was thrilled. I can see from those cracks why I've had such a hard time finding a complete one.

IMG-8379.thumb.jpg.8d1a34d3aad0b05ef13cb365a9b50cca.jpg

IMG-8380.thumb.jpg.47e61cc5834742218f7f2b702ce6d347.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Congratulations on a spectacular find!  :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

That is truly, a great find!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

BEAUTIFUL tooth.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Yes, that is a great find.  Hexanchus is uncommon in the STH Bonebed but a lower anterolateral that complete is certainly at least a step rarer than that.  Depending on the length of your collecting day (a little over 4 hours was my average), you might find a nice parasymphyseal once every two trips and sometimes 1 per trip.  The anterolaterals are about as compressed but wider so they have a more room to crack and break.  You have to be lucky to spot it before you break it yourself as in your case.  You might find a partial or two every trip (and they never fit together).  Depending on many times per year you can dig out there, you might find a tooth like yours once every couple of years.  I used to go out there maybe twice a year for 14 years and I have two like yours.

You should soak that tooth in a Paraloid or Butvar solution to stabilize that crack and harden the root.  You should buy some in any case because you might find some decent bones.

Congratulations,

Jess

• I found this Informative 1

Awesome find, congrats!:wub:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!