Emthegem

Hello again! Sorry for the constant posts, but I've been finding a lot of amazing stuff recently!

Anyways, as the title says, this was probably one of my best hauls ever for a single day! I managed to find over a dozen different nautiloid chunks and was able to extract toooooons of super well defined and complete brachiopods from a matrix piece!! This will be another 3 part post as i have lots of pictures:

20200530_180141.thumb.jpg.8558cdb76a79a55aa70274911b7f7294.jpg

Here was the full haul for the day, with ruler for reference (notches in cm).20200530_180207.thumb.jpg.b5f319c3b4f70eefab3ce2ddb3dbfbf3.jpg20200530_180342.thumb.jpg.c2723c1a7a585c42bde9e32267e36538.jpg

Here are some alternate angles of the nautiloids. I going to assume/believe they are mostly, if not all Treptoceras Crebriseptum, but if anyone notices any different species I'd be glad to know!

20200530_180223.thumb.jpg.17a3134ce53beefc34e74985628be8a9.jpg

some nice crinoid stem segments, a Pholadomorpha Pholadiformis and Ambonychia plate, and another decent nautiloid.

• I found this Informative 6

-

20200530_205231.thumb.jpg.68f60fd5c3b6494c385d8454c978304f.jpg

Closeup of the shell plate.

20200530_180409.thumb.jpg.25122229bbbf9d1ca4f10ef1fc6ed94e.jpg

These might be crinoid stems? I'm not sure, if anyone knows let me know please!

20200530_205245.thumb.jpg.bd93c8b4083bfe089dbb3d0091fc73bc.jpg

here is the matrix the brachiopods come from and...

20200530_180230.thumb.jpg.8b7e42c1524937dcb654cc8e4fdfb113.jpg

...here are the brachiopods!

5ed30e79dcf9b_20200530_180302(1).thumb.jpg.54329407476d14e0d329d2b725b0a515.jpg

These were some of the nicer and perfectly complete specimen. I believe they might be Zygospira brachiopods, not sure though...

20200530_180330.thumb.jpg.7e88616bda4c4c0f4faf10de3fa086a7.jpg

Here is a closeup of one of the nicest ones found today!

• I found this Informative 9

-

This last post is just of the scenery and some miscellaneous stuff.

20200530_114935.thumb.jpg.6fae7934cf3757e7a6b2e770ddc2f173.jpg

Very large and complete Treptoceras Crebriseptum nautiloid. I managed to get most of this out, but it took me an ungodly amount of hammering to do so. Definitely not worth it considering how many other things I found today.

20200530_104004.thumb.jpg.0f2926aa2f590730a5ffa34599eb7f1f.jpg

A pretty nice Ambonychia along with a chunk of nautiloid. Decided to leave this one as it was too big and i didnt want to ruin it by shipping away to reduce weight.

20200530_104154.thumb.jpg.6683daf0a60cf8d3597cfd0d629f2679.jpg

Someone must have channeled their inner beaver and decided to built a somewhat effective dam, very cool! I was going to look at some of the rocks used to make the dam, but it was too pretty to destroy so I left them.

20200530_113555.thumb.jpg.c10eb594b4a447e3d59beb8e82ec90dc.jpg

I also say a very large snake! I think it is a northern water snake, I didn't think i got it in the picture but after looking back I realized I got it scurrying away towards the water! You can see its dark grey head and front part of the body near the rebar around the middle of the picture. I also saw a couple garter snakes as well.

All round very good trip and I'm incredibly happy with what I found!!! :brachiopod::ighappy::dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 5

-

Lots of nice stuff. You had a jolly good hunt! 

The brachiopods seem to be Catazyga erratica and a some of them are lovely! 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice finds. I think the second item in your second post are coral cross sections.

5 hours ago, connorp said:

Nice finds. I think the second item in your second post are coral cross sections.

or bryozoan?

• I found this Informative 2

Like Eric, I think those cross-sections are bryozoans - they're much more common in the Georgian Bay Formation than corals are.

And those brachiopods are lovely, Em - well done!

My first thought on the cross sections is that they are bryozoan as well. 

9 hours ago, Emthegem said:

All round very good trip and I'm incredibly happy with what I found!!!

You should be happy with what you found! Great haul! :)  

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Lots and lots of nice stuff!

You must have a ton (literally) of Treptoceras by now!  I am going to make a comment, and I want to make it clear it is just my personal opinion and not intended as a criticism of anyone.  However maybe it will generate some discussion.  If I have a site I can return to over and over, the first couple of times I may collect everything I find, but pretty quickly I get to where I pick up only specimens that are better than what I already have, or species I have not previously encountered and are new for my collection.  I always try to remember that other people will come along and perhaps really treasure that fossil that I would just stick in a box along with 100 other not-so-perfect examples of that species.  Of course that is just my opinion and practice, and I know other people view things differently.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

Wise words, @FossilDAWG! Thank you.

In the Campanian I collect regularly, I have the problem, that fossils are mostly covered in mud. So, I can only sometimes see in the field, what I have really found. Consequently, I am hauling out quite many suspects with each visit. After cleaning, I decide what to catalog as-is, what to cut and polish and - what to bring back to the site. In this way, usually about the half of my hauls end again at the site I collected them. Hey, its only about half of the mass I carried out, so no problem to bring it back :).

Franz Bernhard

I have that problem too sometimes.  Sites here in the southeastern US are sometimes unconsolidated shell beds, so I will collect 5 gallon buckets of material to wash and sort through.  Of course that means I may end up with many specimens of common species for every one of an infrequent or rare one.  However those come from vast shell beds so a couple of buckets worth leaves a million or more buckets worth for other people.  Also sometimes I can't see enough of a specimen to be sure of its identity, and so I will collect it just in case.  Regarding fossils that I can ID in the field, though, I collect only those that are new for my collection or that are improvements on what I already have.  I have not returned fossils to the site where I collected them, in part because at present I have to drive for several hours to reach any sites at all, but I give excess fossils to young collectors just starting out if I can, or to schools.

Don

10 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lots of nice stuff. You had a jolly good hunt! 

The brachiopods seem to be Catazyga erratica and a some of them are lovely! 

10 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Nice finds and so many of them - congrats!

8 hours ago, connorp said:

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Monica said:

Like Eric, I think those cross-sections are bryozoans - they're much more common in the Georgian Bay Formation than corals are.

And those brachiopods are lovely, Em - well done!

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

My first thought on the cross sections is that they are bryozoan as well. 

You should be happy with what you found! Great haul! :)  

Thank you! And yeah I've heard that a couple times on this site, I agree.

38 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Lots and lots of nice stuff!

You must have a ton (literally) of Treptoceras by now!  I am going to make a comment, and I want to make it clear it is just my personal opinion and not intended as a criticism of anyone.  However maybe it will generate some discussion.  If I have a site I can return to over and over, the first couple of times I may collect everything I find, but pretty quickly I get to where I pick up only specimens that are better than what I already have, or species I have not previously encountered and are new for my collection.  I always try to remember that other people will come along and perhaps really treasure that fossil that I would just stick in a box along with 100 other not-so-perfect examples of that species.  Of course that is just my opinion and practice, and I know other people view things differently.

Don

Yes I was thinking about this and I've started to go for the nicer fossils recently only. I also skip over a bunch that I might not appreciate as much as some others. I originally collected so many different chunks before so I could give some to my friends, but most of them think its cool but don't want any haha. But this spot in particular that I go to, seems to have an unlimited supply! Over the last year I've been about 4 times and there just seems to be more and more everytime I go.

But I've been looking very hard for new types of fossils and all I seem to find is either crinoid stems, one of 4 types of shells, the occasional bryozoan, and of course, half of all my hauls being nautiloids. It's still very exciting to find nice stuff, but I do sometimes feel like I might be ruining for some beginner colectors that might not have the pick and are looking for chunk left on the beach.

All in all I 100% agree with you, but have a hard time drawing the line...

-

13 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I have that problem too sometimes.  Sites here in the southeastern US are sometimes unconsolidated shell beds, so I will collect 5 gallon buckets of material to wash and sort through.  Of course that means I may end up with many specimens of common species for every one of an infrequent or rare one.  However those come from vast shell beds so a couple of buckets worth leaves a million or more buckets worth for other people.  Also sometimes I can't see enough of a specimen to be sure of its identity, and so I will collect it just in case.  Regarding fossils that I can ID in the field, though, I collect only those that are new for my collection or that are improvements on what I already have.  I have not returned fossils to the site where I collected them, in part because at present I have to drive for several hours to reach any sites at all, but I give excess fossils to young collectors just starting out if I can, or to schools.

Don

That too, I would have a hard time bringing the fossils back to the location, but I don't have a problem at all donating for a greater cause than having them sit in my room. Are there typically a lot of schools that require fossils for their classes, or is it mostly a rarer demand?

-

2 minutes ago, Emthegem said:

All in all I 100% agree with you, but have a hard time drawing the line...

Oh for sure, I have that problem too, and so I still end up with more than I need even when I try to "high-grade" in the field.

Don

You bring up a very good point, Don!

Ever since I organized my fossils into a display in my basement, I've been more selective with what I keep.  I often bring stuff home from my local creeks, wash it all, and then decide whether or not I'll keep each piece.  Inevitably, there are items that I decide not to keep for my display or for trades with other forum members, and I simply return them to the location from which I found them.  This is easily done for my local creeks since they're only a 20 minute drive (or less) from my house.  I've actually done the same with Hungry Hollow fossils (especially horn corals - I went a little crazy with collecting them during my first couple of trips there :P) - I've taken them home, washed them, and the items I decided not to keep for myself or for trades were simply placed into a bag and returned to the site the next time I visited during an organized "field trip."

• I found this Informative 3