Need help identifying coiled (shell?)

Emthegem

Hello!

It was found in the Georgian Bay Formation - Ordovician period, in West Toronto. It was found after cracking some rocks on the riverbanks of Etobicoke creek.

I recently came across a rather peculiar fossil, I initially though it might have been an ammonite, but those didn't exist until much later than the Ordovician period.

It seems to be slightly ribbed, with a bit of a spine.

1590954490582145894251.jpg

-

• Emthegem changed the title to Need help identifying coiled (shell?)

I'm pretty sure this is a tergomyid, Cyrtolites.  See here for a photo.  These loosely coiled shells with a sharp keel used to classified as snails, but some time ago they were recognized as monoplacophorans (now named the class Tergomya) based on the position of internal muscles, which can be recognized by the attachment scars they left on the inside of the shell.  Other "snails" in the group include common planispiraly coiled genera including Sinuites which is more common than Cyrtolites in the Georgian Bay Formation.

Don

• I found this Informative 6

44 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm pretty sure this is a tergomyid, Cyrtolites.  See here for a photo.  These loosely coiled shells with a sharp keel used to classified as snails, but some time ago they were recognized as monoplacophorans based on the position of internal muscles, which can be recognized by the attachment scars they left on the inside of the shell.  The name for the taxonomic Family is the Tergomyidae.  Other "snails" in the group include common planispiraly coiled genera including Sinuites which is more common than Cyrtolites in the Georgian Bay Formation.

Don

Wow thats awesome! this is finally a new fossil for my collection, thanks for the ID!

-

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm pretty sure this is a tergomyid, Cyrtolites.  See here for a photo.  These loosely coiled shells with a sharp keel used to classified as snails, but some time ago they were recognized as monoplacophorans based on the position of internal muscles, which can be recognized by the attachment scars they left on the inside of the shell.  The name for the taxonomic Family is the Tergomyidae.  Other "snails" in the group include common planispiraly coiled genera including Sinuites which is more common than Cyrtolites in the Georgian Bay Formation.

Don

I've not heard of this family? I know that the class that used to be Monoplacophora is now Tergomya, but I thought the family for  Cyrtolites is Cyrtolitidae? 

I'm not sure about Sinuites, it keeps moving between Gastropoda  and Tergomya. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

You're correct, I got confused about the level Tergomya applied to.  Thanks for the correction.

Don

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

You're correct, I got confused about the level Tergomya applied to.  Thanks for the correction.

Don

Tis easily done. 

I'm trying to update my classification of bivalves at the moment and it's making me very confused indeed. Eraser.gif.47715143a0699854ff2c99999881b5fe.gif5ed476233f700_Pullinghairout.gif.7b20193aff426f40f6ae2be6c5289993.gif

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png