Itsy Bitsy spider..

daves64

At least I think it's a spider. Only has 6 legs. Only 1.5 mm in length from highest tip to lowest leg bend. Burmite amber, 99 myo (give or take). Pic at 90 x

1.5 mm length.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Looks more like an ant, to me. Only 6 legs.  :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Definitely an insect, not a spider.  Can you photograph it from other angles?

Don

• I found this Informative 1

And seems to have a separate head, thorax and abdomen.

So an insect. 

Really nice piece, though. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Managed to get this pic. Couldn't go straight on with this side due to a bubble. The pieces also has somewhere around a dozen little enhydro's (water with air bubble inclusions) as well. So with those in mind, I'm not reducing the size of the piece any more than current. So these pics will have to suffice. 

A138 - 20200601_193304.jpg

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Aethiocarenus  

It appears to be a new species of insect with weird triangular head found in Burmese amber. 

• I found this Informative 6

If that's true... :default_faint: and with a bunch of enhydros as well? :egypt: 

Reading the descriptions of the bug, sure makes it seem like this is one of them. Especially the hind legs being as long as they are. Sweet! Thankyou @Creek - Don!

Aethiocarenus means it's not an ant, but a distinct order of insects equal to other orders like beetles or butterflies, but containing this species only. Unique

• I found this Informative 5

3 hours ago, RuMert said:

Aethiocarenus means it's not an ant, but a distinct order of insects equal to other orders like beetles or butterflies, but containing this species only. Unique

:default_clap2:

• 5 months later...

I've been doing a bit more work on this piece of amber.. slowly. Piece was a little over 1 cm thick and of course the bug was almost dead center. Working with diamond hand files means you have 3 speeds.. slow, med & oh nice, another notch in my fingernail. So.. work on it a bit, put it away, work on it a bit again, put it away again.. wash, rinse, repeat. Anyhoo, I now have a better view of its head. Not the greatest, but about the best I'm going to get. Taken with my Dino-lite at 200 x. Not sure if it is what was originally thought, but still..

5.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Can't wait to see the other side of the specimen!

Also, if you do a lot of amber work, have a go at a fiber optics polishing turntable...you can go a bit faster than you can with files as they are designed to be used wetted, thus reducing friction heat stress!

3M makes an affordable set pack of flexible fiber optic polishing papers for under 20$ that ranges from 400 grit to 8000 grit. They last a really long time and can be washed with dish soap and water when they get gunked up!

I'm currently using diamond files to 600 grit, 1000 to 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, 3000 grit automotive finishing sander & some bonded micron graded sanding sheets from 3M that go to a 14000 grit equivalent. I don't really mind the time it takes usually. Gives me something to do with my hands & provides a nice feeling of satisfaction once a piece of amber turns out well. And... I don't exactly have much money. I also use them on rocks here & there. The other side view is a bit problematic. There's a bubble in the way about 3 mm in, almost in front of it. So that could take a while longer.

1 hour ago, daves64 said:

I'm currently using diamond files to 600 grit, 1000 to 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, 3000 grit automotive finishing sander & some bonded micron graded sanding sheets from 3M that go to a 14000 grit equivalent. I don't really mind the time it takes usually. Gives me something to do with my hands & provides a nice feeling of satisfaction once a piece of amber turns out well. And... I don't exactly have much money. I also use them on rocks here & there. The other side view is a bit problematic. There's a bubble in the way about 3 mm in, almost in front of it. So that could take a while longer.

I too appreciate the zen of hand polishing stuff. Those micron 3M sheets are awesome for everything. I use the fiber optic versions as I have leftovers from a job fifteen years ago.:heartylaugh:

• 1 month later...

What's the progress on this one? I'm late to the party, but super interested to see the finished product!

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

It might be a while before I get more done on it. Dealing with tendonitis & possible carpal tunnel in my wrist & hand (my dominate hand of course). Makes using hand tools a little difficult.

Sorry to hear that. Let us know when you make some progress!

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes