If you could choose one museum/famous fossil for your collection, what would it be?

FF7_Yuffie

Like the title says. You've got the choice to choose any fossil from any museum or collection or from any collector in the world to have as your own.

What would you pick?

Mine would be the "fighting dinosaurs fossil -- velociraptor vs protoceratops. It was the fossil that got me hugely interested in dinosaurs and fossils when I saw it in some book. 

• I found this Informative 5

I don't think my house insurance would cover having a real priceless fossil in my home and I'd rather leave scientifically important specimens (SIS) in the hands of museums for others to study, but it would be really wild to have a nicely made copy (cast or 3D printed) of the remarkable nodosaur from the Royal Tyrrell Museum.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/06/dinosaur-nodosaur-fossil-discovery/

800px-Nodosaur.jpg

As a historical favorite, I'd love to own (a copy again of) Mary Anning's Ichthyosaur. Fossils without a story behind them are just petrified bones. Mary was such an important figure in paleontology (and so sadly underappreciated in her time because of her gender and her class). It would be spectacular to be able to see her find on my wall and think of her contributions every time I walked by it. :)

https://oumnh.ox.ac.uk/mary-annings-ichthyosaur

icthyosaur.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 16

I would go for the whole set of Iguanodons found at Bernissart in Belgium :D  32 complete specimens

IMG_4308.thumb.JPG.29a28d5dc741e13a8624a2118ada1b46.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

It would have to be the duelling dinosaurs. I would then open my house to the public and scientist so everyone could see this  prehistoric drama,  not really Mrs R would not put up with that. I would tour it around the world,  Mrs R says I need to get out more. 

9FF73F0D-F3AD-42BF-B543-EDE022ED48AE.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

3 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

I would go for the whole set of Iguanodons found at Bernissart in Belgium :D  32 complete specimens

Would make a heckuva wild display on a giant chess board. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

I’d happily plunder the Calvert Marine Museum’s archives....

• I found this Informative 2

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'd love to have this one, but it wouldn't quite fit into my display case.

You would have to get shut of your TV to display this one.

Sue.  Just so I could give her back to BHI where she belongs.

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'd love to have this one, but it wouldn't quite fit into my display case.

Those big ammos are tricky: very appealing but weigh a ton. And 99% of this ton is just matrix:)

I thought of that particular fossil as well. ;) Before Sue became one of the most publicly known (and visited) specimens, this iconic Archaeopteryx known as the Berlin specimen (one of only a dozen or so for this species) has become so ingrained in our culture that there is is even a company known as Arc'teryx that sells outdoor clothing and gear. I first noticed them when I passed one of their stores while I was in Seattle for a Geological Society of America meeting a few years back. The image on their logo is difficult not to notice. :)

arc-black_2020-05-26-12-38-59.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

23 hours ago, digit said:

I don't think my house insurance would cover having a real priceless fossil in my home and I'd rather leave scientifically important specimens (SIS) in the hands of museums for others to study, but it would be really wild to have a nicely made copy (cast or 3D printed) of the remarkable nodosaur from the Royal Tyrrell Museum.

An example of why I'd leave the original of something this scientifically important with the experts and choose a copy. ;)

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-scientists-armored-dinosaur-ate-meal.html

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, digit said:

(one of only a dozen or so for this species)

Got you covered ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

There are many fossils I could list, but this big guy has had a special place in my heart for a while:

5ed804b235df1_Dinosaurium_Estemmenosuchus_uralensis_2.thumb.jpg.09d992425e4dabf57e8c4d7a3efe9fba.jpg

Estemmenosuchus uralensis

• I found this Informative 7

Although I could pick any number of amazing fossils in museum collections, I would say the famous Fighting Dinosaurs from the AMNH, with a Velociraptor and Protoceratops locked in combat.

Brilliantly preserved fossil shows a Velociraptor and ...

• I found this Informative 6

I wouldn’t want much. Just any of their unprepared full Oreodont skull and skeletons....or a velociraptor .....

Can we all throw our favourite fossils in one Museum?

Just imagine visiting just ONE Museum und you get to see Sue, Duelling Dinosaurs, Velo & Proto, Berlin Archaeopteryx, Iguanodon, Nodosaur from Royal Tyrrell, and all the other A+ Fossils from around the World. 

At this point I wouldn't care about any costs getting to that museum.

It would be like:  

eFfmdb3.jpg.5033dc1685c3c76d665c60f64b5c7768.jpg.38a1a978f09685f373777aaa471a2315.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

9 hours ago, Randyw said:

I wouldn’t want much. Just any of their unprepared full Oreodont skull and skeletons....or a velociraptor .....

Seems a reasonable ask. :P

8 hours ago, Abstraktum said:

Just imagine visiting just ONE Museum und you get to see Sue, Duelling Dinosaurs, Velo & Proto, Berlin Archaeopteryx, Iguanodon, Nodosaur from Royal Tyrrell, and all the other A+ Fossils from around the World. 

At this point I wouldn't care about any costs getting to that museum.

The entry ticket would have to include a roll of paper towels to clean up after my cerebral cortex explodes (wouldn't want to leave a less). :o:blink:

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

The entry ticket would have to include a roll of paper towels to clean up after my cerebral cortex explodes (wouldn't want to leave a less). :o:blink:

And a bib and bucket to catch all the drool...:drool:

14 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Although I could pick any number of amazing fossils in museum collections, I would say the famous Fighting Dinosaurs from the AMNH, with a Velociraptor and Protoceratops locked in combat.

Not the AMNH... it was there on temporary display for a while, but this is in the museum in Ulan Bataar.  In Mongolia.    

I would also would happily  settle for any Dimetrodon full skeleton.  I have a tooth and a claw so I have made a start on the dream. 

Dimetrodon at the Field Museum, Chicago. 

51EC0934-DAF5-46C4-9622-01114BAD2103.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6