If you could choose one museum/famous fossil for your collection, what would it be?

FF7_Yuffie

That's an easy one . I loved this specimen and spent a lot of time in this exhibit admiring all of them after I was done working on stuff behind the scenes .

Megaloceros giganteus at the Field Museum Chicago .

20190403_101352.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

7 hours ago, Joe_17 said:

Megaloceros giganteus at the Field Museum Chicago .

That’s a Bobby Dazzler I hope it will be accompanied by Charles R, Knight painting as it is in Field Museum.

7E0A3C67-D879-4FE3-90B5-ED449EFA0B86.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

10 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

That’s a Bobby Dazzler I hope it will be accompanied by Charles R, Knight painting as it is in Fried Museum.

7E0A3C67-D879-4FE3-90B5-ED449EFA0B86.jpeg

Oh it definitely would be  :D

• I found this Informative 1

A complete Dimorphodon. That head to body size ratio! Like a little Tyrannosaurus rex with wings.:wub:

Or a complete Quetzalcoatlus...

I've always loved the Pterosauria order since I was a little kid watching Jurassic Park. When I see herons fly over I always think of Pterosaurs and how amazing they must have been!

Yeah so far only a little has been discovered, but there could be more out there. I guess I stretched the parameters a bit but man a complete one would be cool :rolleyes:

@JamieLynnThat is amazing! I'd love to see it in real life. Maybe I'll run down there someday soon. I've got family in Texas they're a ways from Austin though. Thanks for sharing that!

2 hours ago, Titan said:

@JamieLynnThat is amazing! I'd love to see it in real life. Maybe I'll run down there someday soon. I've got family in Texas they're a ways from Austin though. Thanks for sharing that!

if you do let me know and I can take you on a Texas Fossil hunt! 

@JamieLynn That'd be awesome. Next time I am down there and have some time I may reach out! I've just been going out to the North Sulfur River which has a way of drawing me to it, but I'd really like to branch out and try some other places. Looks like you've found some epic ammonites!

On 6/2/2020 at 3:26 PM, Ludwigia said:

I'd love to have this one, but it wouldn't quite fit into my display case.

1.thumb.jpg.fd24dc5a625b5c6e07d3ad14d87fe386.jpg

Love that picture!

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

A pair of Pachycephalosaurus facing off—believe they’re at the Museum of Ancient Life in Utah (or they were at one point, at least).

image.png.4471ca63c9a2b04c1dea4653b0cd412d.png

On 6/2/2020 at 11:56 AM, FF7_Yuffie said:

Like the title says. You've got the choice to choose any fossil from any museum or collection or from any collector in the world to have as your own.

What would you pick?

Mine would be the "fighting dinosaurs fossil -- velociraptor vs protoceratops. It was the fossil that got me hugely interested in dinosaurs and fossils when I saw it in some book. 

If you win the lottery or fancy putting a $9,500 dent in your wallet, you can buy a replica from Black Hills Institute of Geologcial Research. If the replica doesn’t cut it for you, there is always the option of a museum heist…:heartylaugh:

'Fighting Dinosaurs' - Fossil Replica

image.png.13c0f3dbe1192c3ae5d9104d13a73537.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 3:34 PM, Owl_Roker said:

If you win the lottery or fancy putting a $9,500 dent in your wallet, you can buy a replica from Black Hills Institute of Geologcial Research. If the replica doesn’t cut it for you, there is always the option of a museum heist…:heartylaugh:

I'm trying to picture how long it would take for a group of thieves to dismantle, pack, crate and load a single large dino skeleton in that heist. :default_rofl:

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

1 minute ago, hadrosauridae said:

I'm trying to picture how long it would take for a group of thieves to dismantle, pack, crate and load a single large dino skeleton in that heist. :default_rofl:

All wearing glasses and white lab coats as in a Far Side cartoon. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

I would take the Holotype of Umoonasaurus demoscyllus, known as Eric the Plesiosaur, because of his nice bone material...

An opalized skeleton would be quite pretty to look at. I saw some nice opalized bones in the natural history museum in Adelaide a few years back--quite different from the phosphate-black bones we find here in the Peace River in Florida.

Cheers.

-Ken