STORAGE CABINETS

TOM BUCKLEY

If you're like me you are always searching for that perfect storage solution for fossils. Antique "flat files" are expensive and generally have drawers that are too thin. Modern files such as those used for architectural drawings are too expensive and have a flap that keeps the pages flat. I've settled upon using kitchen cabinets. The drawers are 3" deep and extend fully, which is important if you have any hopes of seeing what's in the back 1/3 of the drawer. 

The brand is SEKTION and is sold by IKEA.

They come in many different colors and sizes. Putting them together is tedious but repetitive. READ AND FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS!

Be sure to select the full extension drawers and the ones that are made to go behind cabinet doors. You don't utilize the doors but this insures that the drawers will have enough space between to allow you to pull them out without having to install pulls.

Below are mine. 

ikea cabinets 001.JPG

ikea cabinets 002.JPG

• I found this Informative 16

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

An excellent and relatively inexpensive solution! :)  :i_am_so_happy:

Thanks for posting this, Tom! Very helpful. 

I'm sure, however, that many of us would like to see close ups of the contents, as well, should you get a chance. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

28 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

brilliant!!

Thank you. I've been called a lot of things but "brilliant" isn't one of them.:b_idea:

Tom

8 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

An excellent and relatively inexpensive solution! :)  :i_am_so_happy:

Thanks for posting this, Tom! Very helpful. 

I'm sure, however, that many of us would like to see close ups of the contents, as well, should you get a chance. ;) 

Thanks for the kind words.

Tim, I'm thinking of setting up something in the "collections" section. Time is the factor as I'm still unpacking after the move. Stay tuned.

Tom

• I found this Informative 1

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

1 minute ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

I wanna peek inside the trace drawer

All in good time. :)

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

They look great . It took me years to find a good storage solution for smaller specimens.  :D

I've been looking at map cabinets for a while and they are so expensive. I like this idea! Thanks for sharing this wonderful solution!

55 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

They look great . It took me years to find a good storage solution for smaller specimens.  :D

28 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I've been looking at map cabinets for a while and they are so expensive. I like this idea! Thanks for sharing this wonderful solution!

23 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

Great solution!

Thanks all. I have to admit it wasn't my idea. You see my brother-in-law is remodeling his kitchen. He knew of my search and suggested these cabinets. I owe him a beer.:)

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

8 minutes ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

Thanks all. I have to admit it wasn't my idea. You see my brother-in-law is remodeling his kitchen. He knew of my search and suggested these cabinets. I owe him a beer.:)

Tom

I have a couple of vintage metal  filling cabinets, our house is many old vintage secondhand furniture so they look fitting  . One I found in the street a couple months ago It was not easy carrying it home while walking the dog but I was not leaving it behind. :D

1 hour ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

I owe him a beer.:)

You might owe him two! Great idea!:thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Those are nice. I have been a making use of IKEA furniture for years. If you know what to look for you can weed out the truly cheap stuff. Their furniture can be hit or a miss...  I have also taken IKEA furniture and upgraded it a bit for better durability.  I even used one of their couches in a children's museum exhibit bu just adding some plywood reinforcing and replacing wood screws with bolts.

For what it matters, I would have added handles and tightened up the spacing to keep dust out.  But I also live in a dusty part of the world.

20 minutes ago, erose said:

Those are nice. I have been a making use of IKEA furniture for years. If you know what to look for you can weed out the truly cheap stuff. Their furniture can be hit or a miss...  I have also taken IKEA furniture and upgraded it a bit for better durability.  I even used one of their couches in a children's museum exhibit bu just adding some plywood reinforcing and replacing wood screws with bolts.

For what it matters, I would have added handles and tightened up the spacing to keep dust out.  But I also live in a dusty part of the world.

You're right in that there is good and bad at IKEA. These are an excellent quality. Very sturdy. As for dust.......hasn't been a problem. Besides, the cabinet is in a closet whose doors will, for the most part, be closed. I'm really glad that I didn't have to go through the hassle of installing drawer pulls.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

With that many drawers in one cabinet its amazing how many fossils one can put in one small area!  and very orginized too!

RB

I have drawers from IKEA too, although not this type. They’ve worked amazingly so far!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Just now, FossilsAnonymous said:

I have drawers from IKEA too, although not this type. They’ve worked amazingly so far!

Have you got any photos. :horseshoecrab:

Yes sir, let me find a couple. It’s a small drawer, but with some great space in it.

The lighting in here is awful.../
A2A7BBAD-71FA-479C-8234-B0FEE6E0057D.thumb.jpeg.fa8f8bcd13277a6315af91139e34aac2.jpeg96E298A4-0E99-4C2F-AB4C-9FCE83DE0E15.thumb.jpeg.f754cdb44d3662bceb98f4b28d3551ab.jpeg90D5A027-40E8-445A-88FE-799E2FBD6841.thumb.jpeg.cc6957859fc8875d7487d089ee6da50c.jpeg

1 hour ago, RJB said:

With that many drawers in one cabinet its amazing how many fossils one can put in one small area!  and very orginized too!

RB

Yes, it is amazing. I'm even able to double up and stack the fossils in each drawer. Still not enough room. I will be adding the wall-style of those cabinets and just have them sit on top of those cabinets. I have over 1000 specimens cataloged. In my previous house I had a very large custom cabinet but it didn't make the trip to Florida.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

46 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

47 minutes ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

That looks like the Alex cabinet from IKEA. I was looking at those also but the lack of full extension drawers was a deal killer.

Tom

• I found this Informative 4

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

@FossilsAnonymous nice cabinet indeed and good deep drawers too. This thread has added some good ideas  for the collector. 

I also read a note from Doren today so sad but in my opinion it is good to read the notes when you come across them in your collection  , a friend like Doren should never be forgotten.  :SlapHands:

13 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

@FossilsAnonymous nice cabinet indeed and good deep drawers too. This thread has added some good ideas  for the collector. 

I also read a note from Doren today so sad but in my opinion it is good to read the notes when you come across them in your collection  , a friend like Doren should never be forgotten.  :SlapHands:

Very true. I have multiple notes from him and it’s very sad to look through them.