Florida mammal tooth seeks identity.

thelivingdead531

Good day, fellow TFF'ers! I need your help in identifying this tooth. It was "seeded" in a bag of Florida matrix I received from the forum's owner through his website. The matrix is only described as from the Miocene, and the seeded material from Eocene to Pleistocene, all from Florida. I have searched for hours online as to what this tooth might have belonged to and have come up with nothing. I'm sure at least one of you will know immediately, so please, help a girl out in giving this tooth its identity back. 

20200603_101934.jpg

20200603_101955.jpg

20200603_102016.jpg

20200603_102037.jpg

20200603_102156.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Looks like a type of whale tooth but I’m no expert.  I’m sure you will get a more accurate ID 

That’s what I was thinking, but I couldn’t find one that looked similar. :headscratch:

Looks like a bear incisor.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I'm thinking possibly a camel incisor:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

1 hour ago, mikeymig said:

Looks like a bear incisor.

The root of my tooth is more curved than the photos I’ve looked at online, but the crown is somewhat similar.

38 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

This looks like camel or tapir to me

38 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

I'm thinking possibly a camel incisor:)

I didn’t see any photos that looked similar to mine from camel or tapir, would either of you have a photo that might help me see the similarities?

A tricky one! No matter what it’s cool!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

38 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I didn’t see any photos that looked similar to mine from camel or tapir, would either of you have a photo that might help me see the similarities?

Here's a picture of a tapir canine found online: 

f418ef70-cf4a-11e5-8b0f-e632d912a779.jpg.ca993061c69472870e735665324a0622.jpg

Your tooth looks closer to a canine than an incisor to me. Incisors are usually smaller and have thinner roots and duller crowns. Here is a Tapir incisor for reference:38-tapir-incisor-ichetucknee-river_1_f951364a2e5277889bea25fa84fc6d02.jpg.219a461bd666a5c2d16fb4f51632380c.jpg

Although it could be the incisor of an omnivore or carnivore. Here is a look at a modern black bear skull, your tooth is not dissimilar to the I3: 20200603_135228.thumb.jpg.0e8f568b3d137b857cd236bfc350f158.jpg

Hope these help :)

5 minutes ago, Huntonia said:

Here's a picture of a tapir canine found online: 

f418ef70-cf4a-11e5-8b0f-e632d912a779.jpg.ca993061c69472870e735665324a0622.jpg

I can definitely see that being a very close match to mine! That helps immensely! 

Tapir canine looks great, but has anyone looked at premolars???? That is what came to my mind as incisor was being contemplated. 

Mike

4 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Tapir canine looks great, but has anyone looked at premolars???? That is what came to my mind as incisor was being contemplated. 

Mike

Don’t the premolars have a double root? 

Thank you to everyone who has helped me try to identify this tooth! I’m very comfortable assigning tapir canine to it.

Premolar - Wikipedia

The premolar teeth, or bicuspids, are transitional teeth located between the canine and molar ... The lower premolars and the upper second premolar usually have one root. ... In primitive placental mammals there are four premolars per quadrant, but the most mesial two (closer to the front of the mouth) have been lost in ...

11 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Premolar - Wikipedia

The premolar teeth, or bicuspids, are transitional teeth located between the canine and molar ... The lower premolars and the upper second premolar usually have one root. ... In primitive placental mammals there are four premolars per quadrant, but the most mesial two (closer to the front of the mouth) have been lost in ...

When I searched for images of tapir premolars it only showed double rooted teeth, but now I see premolars when I look at a whole skull. :blush: Thanks for the info. 

Tapir premolars have double roots, except for the upper P1 (no lower p1) which is quite distinctive and not often seen.

tapir_P1.JPG

tapirsenileteeth.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Before retiring from the veterinary profession, I extracted MANY teeth. I just couldn't believe this was an incisor. That is when I began thinking premolar. Most premolars I have removed possess shallow root structure, making your tooth unlikely to be a premolar . But premolars can be forgotten.

• I found this Informative 1

I now know more about tapir teeth than before, so thank you! I always look forward to learning something new. :)