Fossil Shack Air Scribe

FossilsandScience

Hey everyone!

I am looking for an air scribe to help remove matrix from fossils I am prepping. I am looking at the Fossil Shack Air Scribe since it is within my budget and looks effective. Does anyone know if it is good? I am looking to prep White River formation matrix and Lance formation matrix. Thanks!

Should work fine. Mine is essentially the same  as that one and it works great on Hell Creek material.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

As rock goes, White River material is purty soft, I dont know about the Lance Formation materail and ive never used a Fossil Shack air scribe but I would think it should work fine.   Good luck .

RB

The fossil shack scribe is a modified version of the Aro, or PaleoAro if you are looking at PaleoTools tools.  It will be great for White River and most Lance Fm... except stuff in really hard sanstone from the Lance.  It will still work but it will be slow.  

Edit... I am looking at the photos of the tool.  It looks like they only have a short stylus available.  As you shatrpen this it will become too short to do the work.  If you do work on really hard Lance sandstone, it may get dull too quickly.  I htnk it will still be fine for most Lance and White River material.  

• I found this Informative 1

Agree with the guys above me, should be sufficient for what you are doing.  Plus, I learned about a new tool today!

Thank you everyone for the information! I will probably be using it now that I know it will be effective on the material I need to work on. Thanks!

I've spoken with @sseth several times about this scribe. He designed it to work on the problematic Green River Split Fish material. I plan to pick one up (eventually) in order to put it through its paces and do a detailed review but according to Seth, it has a very light strike with exhaust directed to the sides rather than the front as is the case with most scribes. He did this in order to reduce the likelihood of the exhaust air blowing the delicate fish off the slab. This is a real problem for Split fish material.

• I found this Informative 5

I have one of these scribes I will use on softer Burlington Formation material, and it works great. Not as well for the harder and stickier calcitic stuff, but it works. Would recommend getting another stylus if you do a lot of prep though.

What level of air compressor would you recommend to go with the Fossil shack scribe

8 hours ago, mattbsharks said:

What level of air compressor would you recommend to go with the Fossil shack scribe

I wouldnt recommend anything less than 8CFM at 100psi with a 20gal reserve tank, and dont forget your air drier system so you arent pumping water through the tool.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Harbor Freight sells a 21 gallon 6 CFM compressor for under $200 that will handle anything this scribe can ask for. A moisture trap is all you need for a scribe. They don't need to be as dry as an abrasive system.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:28 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

Harbor Freight sells a 21 gallon 6 CFM compressor for under $200 that will handle anything this scribe can ask for. A moisture trap is all you need for a scribe. They don't need to be as dry as an abrasive system.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:57 AM, hadrosauridae said:

I wouldnt recommend anything less than 8CFM at 100psi with a 20gal reserve tank, and dont forget your air drier system so you arent pumping water through the tool.

Thanks so much!