Coral fossil from China?

Crazyhen

Does it look like coral fossil?  It is from Guanling, Guizhou Province of China.  Triassic.

Thanks.

IMG_6619.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's not coral of any sort. I don't know what it is though. Very interesting!

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

Ive never seen anything like this before?   Miniature knobbie ice cream cones?  :)    Very interesting for sure. 

RB

Perhaps Bryozoa with monticules? See a lot of it in Ordovician limestone here in the states and Canada.  

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

In the first picture, I see a fresh cross sectional exposure. Could we see a close up of that surface? Lower left quadrant of the sample. 

Mike

Whatever they are, it looks like there may have been some water current present.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:01 PM, minnbuckeye said:

In the first picture, I see a fresh cross sectional exposure. Could we see a close up of that surface? Lower left quadrant of the sample. 

Mike

The fossil was sold and sorry that I could not get a close up of that surface.  This specimen is very interesting.  I guess it's some kind of marine invertebrates but really have no idea what it is.