Can someone help me identify this?

Dinoman123

I recently found this piece of bone in Horseshoe Canyon in Dinosaur National Park, Alberta. I don’t know what it is. Also, if I could get some tips to clean it, that would be good. 

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

What size is the bone?  Picture of other side.

Dinosaur National Park?  Not familiar where's that at?

The fossil is about an inch and a half in diameter. Sorry, it’s dinosaur provincial park in Alberta, Canada. Here’s a picture of the other side: 

image.jpg

First photo almost looks like scute armor but perhaps I’m seeing bone marrow instead of textural differences? The second photo shows contours that look like a vertebrae but because the bone enamel is so broken, it is hard for me to tell. I think the honey comb structure in the middle is indeed the marrow vesicles. 

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks, Okay if its the Park its not Horseshoe Canyon Fm,   that's Drumheller area, but Dinosaur Park Fm.  Hopefully you did not pick it up in park.   Not sure what it is, odd peice not a scute are you sure its bone.

I did find it in horseshoe canyon. It seems like a bone to me, it has the spongy inner structure and it passed the lock test.

It's hard to tell from what is left but I do think it's a fossil dinosaur vertebrae. Maybe a tail vertebrae of a common variety, like duck billed dinos but cannot say with what you have there. Also echoing @Troodon about leaving fossils in parks if you find them but interesting piece, thanks for sharing it. 

Thanks for the insight, I actually found it in a bed of similar pieces, so I picked one up. It could be something cool. Thanks again.

@Dinoman123 was this piece picked up in Dinosaur Provincial Park?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

5 minutes ago, Dinoman123 said:

Yes, it was in horseshoe canyon, which is in dinosaur pp

@Dinoman123

Are you aware of the Park Rules regarding fossils in this Link?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Horseshoe canyon is not in Dinosaur PP. source; I live very close to Dino park. Horseshoe is near Drumheller. Also, do not take fossils from Dino park or Horseshoe. 

• I found this Informative 3

Allright. I looked it up and I could get a license for fossil excavation in Alberta. I could also take a park tour where I can excavate with professionals. Thanks for pointing that out.

I’ve never encounter fossils in this area before but I can’t think of a rock that would make these features. How do you suppose the honey comb structure in the middle is being made? It’s not an igneous rock by the looks of it...

I think it’s a scute, it looks like one, and finding a bone would be pretty improbable.

Does not look like bone but I have to chuckle when someone comes to the forum for advice and gets it from two of the most experienced dino guys here in Troodon and jpc and chooses to ignore it.

48 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Does not look like bone but I have to chuckle when someone comes to the forum for advice and gets it from two of the most experienced dino guys here in Troodon and jpc and chooses to ignore it.

well, we both commented, so I don't think we ignored it....  : )

2 hours ago, jpc said:

well, we both commented, so I don't think we ignored it....  : )

I think he was talking about the person who posted the item in question, not you two. ;)

13 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I think he was talking about the person who posted the item in question, not you two. ;)

Looks like I totally misread that comment.  Thanks for straightening me out, livingdead.

16 hours ago, Dinoman123 said:

I think it’s a scute, it looks like one, and finding a bone would be pretty improbable.

nope, not a scute.  Not a bone.  Sorry.  It looks more like a piece of ironstone concretion.  

Hi,

17 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Thanks Candace, because I have understood as JPC does...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I get why he thinks it's a scute but shouldn't it be flatter on the opposite side?  It appears to have an irregular ridge on the back.  Also, the texture shown in the first photo actually had me considering a closer resemblance to a weathered piece of armor from a Pleistocene mammal like perhaps a glyptodont which would not make sense.  I think it's a rock that looks like something, but if it were mine, I would compare it to scutes that have been found in the Late Cretaceous of that area and try to understand why people who have hunted fossils of that time don''t think it's a scute.

Jess