Brittlestar Fossil Authenticity?

Therandomkind

I purchased a bulk collection of ambers (Baltic and Dominican) from a collector looking for some spare cash. Along with it she included a Geocoma carinata fossil. I admittedly don't know much about fossils. But a few red flags have caught my eye post-purchase not about the amber specimens but the fossil. She is a reputable collector and once owned a store in the area I live in. I guess the first sign is that the information she gave me had the name spelled incorrectly. "Geocoma corinata" I'm a biology student, I get that names can change over time or there are instances of typos but the next big issue I found was that it was supposedly from Morocco. Which in the fossil business is apparently a telltale sign of being fraudulent. Upon closer inspection I've noticed some rather off things and I'm not quite sure if it's authentic now. Maybe she threw it in knowing it was fake? I'm not too sure. It was free though. So all things considered I'll probably end up keeping it, maybe not displaying it though. There are small areas where it looks like someone painted it with an unsteady hand and splattered it on the sides? I'll try my best to mark them where I can. And there are also little cuts in the rock where it almost appears like someone cutting it went too far and didn't other fixing it or covering it up. The stone at the bottom and on top are different from one another, and for being supposedly 150 million years old it's very well preserved. I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I'd love any information you could give me. Thanks ahead of time. (Splatters marked in red? Cuts in blue. Sorry for camera quality my phone is pretty old. )

So I've just learned that the 6 pictures I took aren't able to be uploaded because they exceed the 3.95 mb upload limit? I'll leave a link to imgur I don't know if URL sharing is frowned upon or not there was nothing about it in the "Before you post" discussion. Sorry ahead of time.

https://imgur.com/a/9yxNPhg

It's always the best to upload directly to here. You can resize or compress the photos. If you're using smartphone, there are several apps for that, I use Lit Photo (Android smartphone). I'm not an expert in Moroccan fossils and not that good at telling real from fake, but I can tell you that others would ask you for clearer pictures because your pictures are a bit too blurry. :dinosmile:

Welcome to TFF!

@Therandomkind

You can add additional images in replies.  Please upload them to the Forum. Links inevitably go bad and leave the educational value of a topic useless.  Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

7 hours ago, Therandomkind said:

Maybe she threw it in knowing it was fake?

We need a clearer photo to say for sure. I strongly suspect this is the case though.

Geocoma carinata is a species of brittle star from the Tithonian of Germany.
Photo : https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Geocoma_carinata_1.JPG
Fossils (true and false) from the Silurian of Morocco are sold under this name (by mistake of identification); from the photo, your fossil looks painted on rock rather than an authentic fossil (sorry!).

Geocoma_carinata_1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1