It appears to me as a pyritized wood, it gave off the metallic sheen when it's under the light. Pyrite/marcasite are abundant at where I found this and it's from Kiowa formation (Albian). Kiowa formation is primarily an estuarine and shallow sea environment, fossilized wood and plants are occasionally found from there. I found it as a concretion but it crumbled into tiny pieces when I pulled it out of the ground, so this one is the largest and only piece I have now. Do you think it's a pyritized wood? 

20200531_153757_compress75.jpg

20200531_153911_compress23.jpg

20200605_212020_compress87.jpg

I'm thinking petrified wood is correct, but from the photos I don't see any pyrite.  What I think I'm seeing instead is a thin coating of druzy quartz on the surface.  Hard to be certain from the photos.  Perhaps a close-up of what you believe to be pyrite would help.

• I found this Informative 2

If it was a low oxygen environment some pyrite could easily form during fossilization. I can't see it from the photos, but if it is common in fossils of the area I don't doubt it. Often pyrite will oxidize to various other iron minerals (limonite) and that may explain that reddish/yellowish brown color I see on you fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, Rockwood said:

End grain ? I'm thinking wood is likely so far.

I don't see any end grains. I have not washed it yet, so it's a possibility there are end grains.

13 hours ago, Scylla said:

If it was a low oxygen environment some pyrite could easily form during fossilization. I can't see it from the photos, but if it is common in fossils of the area I don't doubt it. Often pyrite will oxidize to various other iron minerals (limonite) and that may explain that reddish/yellowish brown color I see on you fossil.

Yup, Kiowa formation is characterized by mostly anoxic environment - brackish and estuarine: according to the several scientific journals on this specific formation that I have read. Pyritized fossil gastropods are abundant in the area too, so are the iron concretions.

14 hours ago, grandpa said:

I'm thinking petrified wood is correct, but from the photos I don't see any pyrite.  What I think I'm seeing instead is a thin coating of druzy quartz on the surface.  Hard to be certain from the photos.  Perhaps a close-up of what you believe to be pyrite would help.

Both pictures are at 1000x magnification. Not the best pictures, sorry. I don't see any druzy quartz, only these extremely small pyrite crystals.

Small pyrite crystals, less than 1mm and magnified at 1000x.

2020-06-06-182736.thumb.png.f6df2a67b5fbdf90f15a4cd934cee9af.png

You can see the grains going in the same direction and also shiny like brass.

2020-06-06-182904.thumb.png.9dc7c9e70f44393f4a213a0265073463.png

• I found this Informative 1