Pipe Fish?

FF7_Yuffie

Hello, I'm not much of a fish fossil person, but I like the look of this and might throw it in with another order I'm making. It doesn't have much specific details though. It's just described as Liaoning Pipe Fish" and 150 million years old Jurassic. The fish itself is about 3 inches long.

There's not much showing up on google images for chinese pipe fish to compare too, so maybe the species has a different name?

If anyone can confirm it's as described or knows a more specific species for it, that would be great.

Thanks

pipefish2.jpg

pipefish1.jpg

The only pipefish I am familiar with are in the family Syngnathidae (along with seahorses). They are basically elongate straight-bodied versions of seahorses with very tiny tubular mouths (a characteristic of the family). So unless there is another fossil fish family that the Chinese are calling "pipe fishes" this does not match my concept of a "pipefish" as the skull is too large and the head not elongate with a tubular snout.

c80g8g.jpg

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

Digit is right, definitely not a Syngnathidae. Looks more like an eel. I don't think it is from Liaoning- the rock there looks different. To me, the rock looks like it could be from the Upper Cretaceous of Lebanon. This could be a partial Anguillavus quadripinnis or an Urenchelys germanus.

Anguillavus.JPG.10650dda86f951797062e13ac214e71a.JPG

Anguillavus quadripinnis

urenchelis.JPG.b9f34d0cd21230b06137602ec2703aed.JPG

Urenchelys germanus

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

50 minutes ago, oilshale said:

Digit is right, definitely not a Syngnathidae. Looks more like an eel. I don't think it is from Liaoning- the rock there looks different. To me, the rock looks like it could be from the Upper Cretaceous of Lebanon. This could be a partial Anguillavus quadripinnis or an Urenchelys germanus.

Anguillavus.JPG.10650dda86f951797062e13ac214e71a.JPG

Anguillavus quadripinnis

urenchelis.JPG.b9f34d0cd21230b06137602ec2703aed.JPG

Urenchelys germanus

Thanks very much.

The Lebanon suggestion seems to be pointing me in the right way. Googling similar Lebanon fossils, a lot do look similar. Like this one I found labelled as an Enchelions eel which looks a lot like it. Although, the size seems off--this enchelions looks complete and is 3.1 inches. Which doesn't seem a whole lot bigger than mine which seems to be partial.

enchelion.jpg

Here is a list of the Cretaceous eels from Lebanon:

Anguillavus bathshebae Hay 1903
Anguillavus quadripinnis Hay 1903
Enchelion montium Hay 1903
Libanechelys bultyncki Taverne 2004
Luenchelys minimus Belouze et al. 2003
Urenchelys hakelensis (Davis 1887)
Urenchelys germanus Hay 1903

Forey, P.L., Yi, L., Patterson, C., Davies, C.E. 2003

Fossil Fishes from the Cenomanian (Upper Cretaceous) of Namoura, Lebanon.

Journal of Systematic Palaeontology, 1(4):227-330

Taverne, L. 2004

Libanechelys bultyncki gen. et sp. nov., une nouvelle anguille primitive (Teleostei, Anguilliformes) du Cénomanien marin du Liban.

[Libanechelys bultyncki gen. et sp. nov., a new primitive eel (Teleostei, Anguilliformes) from the marine Cenomanian of Lebanon]

Bulletin de l'Institut Royal des Sciences Naturelles de Belgique, Sciences de la Terre, 74:73-87  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png