Ratfish tooth from the mid-jurassic in Denmark

Hello there fossil forum!

A few of you may have read my post about my 2 trips to Bornholm, a Danish island that holds a lot of different fossiliferous geological layers. I had specifically been digging by a location called "Hasle beach", where mid-jurassic sandstone layers are present. There have been found a few plesiosaur bones/teeth there, as well as 2 possible dinosaur bones, still being described, and also a few footprints. Other than that, mostly what you will find here, is shells, and occasionally hybodont shark teeth.

As I mentioned in my last post about Bornholm (you can read it here), I found a ratfish/chimaera tooth together with the drummer from my heavy metal band. Our guitarist and bassist were nearby, as me and the drummer sat in one spot, opening several large eroded sandstones together, when suddenly a small black lump was visible within the orange sandstone. It turned out to be a chimaera tooth. When we were done digging for the 7 days we were there, we handed some of the stuff over to the museum on the island to check it out. I took the chimaera tooth with me home. 

About 1 and a half month later, a renowned Danish paleontologist made a lecture/presentation about dinosaur finds on Greenland. In between one of the breaks in his presentation, I got to talk to him, and I had taken some of my finds from Bornholm with me, including some plesiosaur bones, and the chimaera tooth. 

He took some of the stuff with him, to examine closer. 

He sent some of the bones back last month, saying it was some partial vertebrae fragments, which wouldn't be of interest to the geological institute. However, the chimaera tooth was interesting, as it was unlike other chimaera teeth found at the location.

Today I just got an email from the paleontologist, that the tooth is in fact from a new species, and will be included in a scientific article about chimaera-fauna in the Hasle-formation! :dinosmile: It has officially been declared "Danekræ", which is a title all "scientifically important" fossil-finds are given. It becomes state-property, and the finder/finders of the fossil are rewarded with some cash, as well as the honors of having their name attached to the find! :)

6FAu5Lq.jpg

xWNrLGA.jpg

• I found this Informative 15

That's splendid news!! Congratulations!!! I'd imagine it's such a great honour to have one of your finds be declared as Danekræ! :D

Was the renowned Danish paleontologist Jesper Milàn or Bent Lindow?

You ought to post your donation in the Fossil Contributions to Paleontology Gallery, I'm sure it would earn you the much deserved Paleo-Partner badge on TFF :) 

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist
  • I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

1 minute ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

That's splendid news!! Congratulations!!! I'd imagine it's such a great honour to have one of your finds be declared as Danekræ! :D

Was the renowned Danish paleontologist Jesper Milàn or Bent Lindow?

You ought to post your donation in the Fossil Contributions to Paleontology Gallery, I'm sure it would earn you the much deserved Paleo-Partner badge on TFF :) 

It was Jesper Milàn who handled the tooth, and also gave me the message today. The official announcement will come by mail later, from Bent Lindow though :)

Very cool! Always great when any find Scientifically Important Specimen (SIS) is found by amateur fossil hunters and makes its way into the hands of the experts who recognize its importance.

:thumbsu:

When you have the information back as to what institution the chimaera tooth will be going to, remember to post the relevant information in the Fossil Contributions to Paleontology gallery:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/102935-fossil-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery/

Cheers.

-Ken

55 minutes ago, digit said:

Very cool! Always great when any find Scientifically Important Specimen (SIS) is found by amateur fossil hunters and makes its way into the hands of the experts who recognize its importance.

:thumbsu:

When you have the information back as to what institution the chimaera tooth will be going to, remember to post the relevant information in the Fossil Contributions to Paleontology gallery:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/102935-fossil-contributions-to-paleontology-the-gallery/

Cheers.

-Ken

Aye, I will do that when I get the official information from Bent Lindow :dinothumb:

Just now, Phevo said:

Congratulations that is a Nice find :)

Thank you! Can't wait to go to Bornholm again this summer ;)

Congratulations on the Danakrae.  That system is such a great system to encourage both public awareness and involvement in paleo as well as the advancement of science.  Right on, DK!

• I Agree 1

Just now, jpc said:

Congratulations on the Danakrae.  That system is such a great system to encourage both public awareness and involvement in paleo as well as the advancement of science.  Right on, DK!

Yes! I think it is a nice way of both getting people involved in paleontology, but also a really good system to actually make people WANT to hand in the finds, that potentially could be of use to the scientific community. It's often seen in other countries, that you can freely keep everything you find, and just deny the scientists of a potentially important fossil. And obviously the reason why some people won't hand these finds in, is because they likely "only" will get their name credited to the fossil, but nothing else. I would still hand in an important fossil even if there wasn't a "reward" like here in Denmark. But I think the premise of there being a reward for you, should you find something, is a great way to make people want to hand in the fossils. It is sort of a competition for some of the amateur fossil-hunters here in Denmark; "Who can find the most Danekræ?" :dinosmile:

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/06/2020 at 10:31 PM, Sauroniops said:

@Johannes @Archie @Troodon @The Amateur Paleontologist @Ludwigia @Phevo @Down under fossil hunter @Darktooth

Tagged you guys, as you seemed interested in the last post about this :dinothumb:

Thanks mate!

great work btw, I hope you get back there for some more collecting soon.

5 hours ago, Down under fossil hunter said:

Thanks mate!

great work btw, I hope you get back there for some more collecting soon.

I am going to dig there again two times this year. 4 days in July, and 7 days in October :dinothumb: so I'm crossing my fingers for some dinosaur material :)