Horse tooth?

D Clarke

Our grandkids first found this by the lake, Lake Huron. Ontario, canada side. We have been told our lot had a horse trail that ran through it, possible even used for horse races.  Interested if this is an ancient horse tooth? Bison is another possibility as this had been a wooded area near the lake.

Thank you. We are always looking for interesting rocks and stones and were curious when we found these. I have more photos.

8F6BBDDF-99AE-43D2-96C5-3718819190E4.jpeg

66DB05DF-DF8C-4F17-85C0-C99B62AD0D4E.jpeg

I was going to say deer, but now I'm afraid the diagnostic features I would rely on are missing. :headscratch:

Thank you ... hadn’t thought deer. But we do still have an active deer population here. Are they old ? Idea how old?

It's a bovid lower premolar four (p4).  In the future, be aware that multiple images of the same side of the tooth do not help with the identification.  Cows are historical, but it's possible it's a bison tooth.  You didn't provide a scale in your images or your text, so it's not possible to say which it might be.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

If I remember correctly, bison are rarely if ever found this far northeast. I would think almost surely a cow.