AK hiker

I am going to make the jump and get some prepping tools and looking for recommendations for quality air scribe or scribes from reading the posts believe 2 scribes are needed. My intended use will be to clean out the matrix left in the center whorl of ammonites I have found or future finds as well as bulk removal of matrix to tidy up around the edges to make presentable. I have the support equipment in my shop where I work on one of my other hobbies, building and maintenance of my airplanes. Have attached a couple of pictures of finds from previous trips to give an idea of what I will be working on  and hope to get back in the mountains soon as the snow melts.  

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Hi AK Hiker.  Some really nice concretions you have there.   I always wanted to find one of those big clams but never ran into a complete one.  anyways, I use 3 different Paleo Tools air scribes.  The Super Jack for fast bulk removal.  The ME9100, my most favorite and most used airscribe and once in awhile I use the ARO 8315-b.    and the very best of luck to you.  Would love to see you clean up some of your fossils. 

RB

DSCN0630.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Nice finds!  Your "helper" looks a little bored...   Waiting for a snack I'm guessing?

RJB, Thanks for the input coming from someone who has done this before is most helpful. I have a Palio Tools ME-9100 coming with an engraving stylus 1 1/2" length for bulk removal and 1 1/2"  pointed tip for finer work. When they were figuring shipping to Alaska will send the extra scribe at no cost due to the steep shipping to get it here, WOW! I had met the owners 2 years ago while at the Tuscon show and nice couple. Now need a break in the weather to get out for the first trip of the season, hope to share that with pictures and story when done. 

You are showing us some cool fossils.  Can I request some landscape shots as well?  AK is such a mystery to most of us.  As you said it is huge, and very few of us fix up planes well enough to fly around into the AK back country.  Thanks.  

Done under a new post. "Alaska Scenery While Out Fossil Hunting". 

1 hour ago, jpc said:

You are showing us some cool fossils.  Can I request some landscape shots as well?  AK is such a mystery to most of us.  As you said it is huge, and very few of us fix up planes well enough to fly around into the AK back country.  Thanks.  

• I found this Informative 1