Mioplosus_Lover24

I found this tooth in my Aguja matrix and the serrations are way larger than any of the other teeth I've found! I can take more pictures but this tooth is so tiny and I'm unsure of it's exact measurements.

20200606_005651.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

This is it's size compared to my finger.

20200606_002541.jpg

"Life is too complex for me to wrap my mind around, that's why I have fossils and not pets!":tff:

P.S. I know Troodon is no longer valid and but I am unsure if it's not valid in the Aguja formation since it was never described.

cf Troodon is perfectly valid in the Aguja formation.  Only in the Belly River Group of Alberta is where they have other taxons describing Troodontids.  Can you take a photo of the other side.  Try to make it as straight in as possible need to see the serrations.  Any visible on the outer edge?

Nice find

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

cf Troodon is perfectly valid in the Aguja formation.  Only in the Belly River Group of Alberta is where they have other taxons describing Troodontids.  Can you take a photo of the other side.  Try to make it as straight in as possible need to see the serrations.  Any visible on the outer edge?

Nice find

Hope this helps!

20200606_174650.jpg

I believe it's a "cf Saurornitholestes langstoni".   I would like a better view of the serrations.  When I blow it up they become blurry.  Published articles support this assignment. Sankey et al. (2008)

Not a Troodon, the shape, quantity and direction of the denticles are all wrong they should point toward the tip not perpendicular to the edge

Again nice tooth 

Use putty to hold your tooth makes taking pictures easier.

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 year later...

Well, 2 years is as good as any to reply to this! Got a better picture of it.

20220302_160526.jpg

Great, the distal denticles are not that of a Troodontid.  Its unfortunate that the mesial carina is missing to see if a RAPTOR :D a Dromaeosaurid but all other characteristics point to that.  I cannot determinei if its similar to Saurornitholestes because the distal denticles are a bit worn but I think you can call it an indet Dromaeosaurid.   Nice tooth