musicnfossils

Got access to some more private land near Dinosaur PP, company owned. My friend was familiar with this area since he was a kid so he said we should check it out, and we found some awesome dinosaur fossils! So far nothing was collected, but yesterday I got ahold of the land supervisor for the company and after receiving some paperwork coming my way on Monday I will be permitted to surface collect anything I find in this area, so this thread will be updated with more finds this coming week. Here are some photos of what we found so far: 

A lot of the bones looked like they were from a hadrosaur, sort of confirmed when I found this hadrosaur tooth. However there were two partial tyrannosaurid teeth nearby as well...maybe the hadrosaur got munched on...

DA2752D9-601F-46B3-A084-BA0CEB0C91CF.jpeg

Limb bone (?) with multiple vertebrae nearby. I set them next to the large bone for the photo. 

0C5943F7-46D6-426B-AB4E-7268812AD026.jpeg

Another vert, this one is in the ground so unfortunately I can’t do anything with it. 

25604DC7-4ED9-46D3-B67F-6DEDA5D4843C.jpeg

Many, many bones were scattered around the area. 

A1D35804-03AB-4ECA-AAEC-67BE8DDF96AD.jpeg

Much more photos to come...very excited about collecting here!! 

• I found this Informative 9

1 minute ago, Randyw said:

Great find! But I have a question what’s this?

6F908FA7-E4C5-4623-AD9F-D80A1BE6A81C.jpeg

Thats a partial tyrannosaurid tooth. Probably gorgosaurus or daspletosaurus if I had to guess since those two are found in this formation. 

• I found this Informative 2

I’ll add this photo as well, a better look at those fragmented tyrannosaurid teeth. We found the tip for one of them. 

64196EE4-FDF2-405D-87B1-2566A2661F06.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

That’s what I thought you meant! O.M.G! I have a piece I was trying to identify that’s it’s twin! I think I need to do some more researching it but I think I just peed myself a little in happiness! Thanks! Good luck with your collecting!

52 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

Thats a partial tyrannosaurid tooth. Probably gorgosaurus or daspletosaurus if I had to guess since those two are found in this formation. 

Note the serrations between here three fingernails and the angle created by the two surfaces that come together at the serrations, almost 90 degrees.... tyrannosaur. 

Have fun out there

Those big plugs don't last long when exposed and explode into what you have in your hands.  Nice day when you can explore

24 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Those big plugs don't last long when exposed and explode into what you have in your hands.  Nice day when you can explore

Our local park ranger has recommended I alert this find to the museum, so I did. In the event that they do not wish to excavate and collect here, I’ll be doing so. Hopefully what remains of them will survive a few more days ;)

Best of luck in your future fossil hunts of the area!  I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your adventures... :popcorn:

So I went and collected some of the stuff that was hanging around that spot. Here’s some pics: 

Here’s a tyrannosaur tooth, or maybe the end part is of a separate tooth, I’m not sure. Either way I still have some small pieces to try to fit. 

D15A57DC-7455-4FFB-8C30-B385728ACA92.jpeg

0B2B6D7A-C117-4703-87BD-FB7C2C263792.jpeg

The rest of these bones are all hadrosaur, here is some verts mostly caudal. 

0B04F3D6-2555-4DE4-AADD-277B81A86D09.jpeg

Another toe bone, guess I’m on my way to creating a composite foot :thumbsu:

CB635218-3F0F-472F-AE49-B5DA0311435D.jpeg

Another small tooth 

9EFBD45C-FAE0-49E6-BB74-C95D911C8CCB.jpeg

Here’s what I think is a part of a radius 

A75867DD-CE21-49CB-8959-692A444327A7.jpeg

Found this on the way out, don’t know what the heck it is but it looked cool. 

51F8612C-2348-48F7-9E27-89E2B055CCE9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

4 hours ago, hiposong said:

Wow, that's so cool.Thanks for sharing. Hope to see the follow-up:)

7 minutes ago, Monica said:

AMAZING stuff!!!  Congrats on the awesome dino finds!!!:dinothumb:

Thank you both, very happy with this area so far! 

A little update: I got most of that tooth together. I also found another shattered tyrannosaur tooth yesterday, put that one together as well. Unfortunately missing the tip though, but I did find the best hadrosaur tooth I’ve found yet! 

E94EC3D8-CFD2-42F3-AA02-5F3F0B189052.jpeg

532D84F1-3026-44B0-92D2-17EA1967716A.jpeg

A687E72E-5BB6-4F99-8295-A4B02DAFA16E.jpeg

Just now, Vacationgirl said:

The teeth look great!  Are these the first tyrannosaur teeth you have found?

Nope but they’re the second and third! I found one last year but I didn’t know it was tyrannosaur. Last year I didn’t have much luck fossil collecting but this year with all of the new permissions I’ve gotten I can actually find stuff on relatively untouched land so it’s much more fun. 

So jealous!  I heading out Drumheller way tomorrow on my first trek of the year.  I don’t expect to find much but truly enjoy the scenery. Last year I planned to talk to a few land owners but never got around to doing it - definitely need to do that this year. 

Please keep posting your finds - it’s exciting to see what can be found around “home”. 

1 minute ago, Vacationgirl said:

So jealous!  I heading out Drumheller way tomorrow on my first trek of the year.  I don’t expect to find much but truly enjoy the scenery. Last year I planned to talk to a few land owners but never got around to doing it - definitely need to do that this year. 

Please keep posting your finds - it’s exciting to see what can be found around “home”. 

You should! You’d be surprised how open most of them are to allowing collecting on their land. So far I haven’t received a “no”. 

• I found this Informative 1