pswiatek

Found this today in a farmers field.  The area is 557 feet above sea level. Near Avon/Littleville NY in the Genesee Valley

I am very new to collecting, so I have two questions...

1) It looks like it may be Lepadocrinites gobbardi, but I have no experience. The lightbulb like base DOES resemble that.

2) Just the base of the "lightbulb" is protruding from the rock....(i am not even sure what type of rock it is.) Limestone?

Anyway, I am wondering when something like this is found, is there a process to that will reveal more of what is in the rock? 

Or, do you just stick with what you see? Could it be cracked open to reveal more? If so, are there people that can do that?

Or, do you do that yourself?

Thanks.

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3173-2.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

This looks like a protruding bit of Rugose Coral (also called "Horn" Coral).

As far as exposing more, you can do that.

It is called preparation. We have an entire sub-forum dedicated to Fossil Preparation

I have found it easier to try things yourself, unless the item is rare or special to you. 

Chisels, air scribes, air abrasion, pin vises with needle tips, engravers, pocket scribes, dental picks, rotary tools, and sewing needles are some examples of what people use to prepare fossils. If you search YouTube, you can find many fossil preparation videos.

Welcome again.

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you for this great reply! 

I have followed your direction and  will see what I can do!