Steve D.

Hey all! 

Need some recommendations (if any out there) on climbing spikes for hiking shoes/boots. Most locations I hunt are steep hillsides or road cuts. I recently used some hiking/snow cleat attachments to my hiking shoes hoping it would give me additional traction on a steep rocky road cut but the stress to the cleat snapped the rubber/metal. Does anyone have any product names they trust when investing in safety gear?

My main locations I hunt are Brookville & St. Leon, Indiana.

Thanks!!!

101844908_10223100246243889_2863083582224771649_n.jpg

101988351_10223100242483795_9041749996366495104_n.jpg

I possess absolutely no experience or education that directly addresses your inquiry. However, that condition has never stopped me from providing an opinion. 

From your photo you appear very well-equipped, but a proper foothold is certainly a concern, given the environs you posted. From the photos, it would appear that a randomly placed footstep would most likely land chiefly on stone as opposed to dirt. I would think this would make metal or hard plastic spikes/cleats not utile or even hazard-enhancing. I can envision the spike/cleat simply sliding across the unyielding surface of one of those relatively flat stones, thus ensuing slippage. If I were betting (on my chances of not tumbling down the declivity), I would opt for an ankle covering boot with a textured, rubbery, non-slip sole. The texture might be of benefit as the foot falls at the edge of a stone, while the grippy part will help on the flat surfaces.

Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I would add to Snolly's advice that you can never go wrong with a steel toed boot of any kind. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

+1 for steel toed boots! I hunt steep road cuts in Kentucky. Very similar to your area. Steel toed boots are all I wear.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 3 weeks later...

I used to do a lot of fly fishing. Some of the rivers I frequented had bottoms made up of very slippery rocks. I would strap "Korkers to the bottom of my wading shoes and never had a problem. Rather than slip on the rocks the metal spikes would dig in. You can look at the LLBean or Orvis websites. To save money, check out Cabella's. Another option is to get boots that are made with the cleats built in. I don't know why your cleat snapped off. I've never had that happen. Hope this helps.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"