Another Fossilized Mango?

Joe Simon

I’m new to this site and was interested in the petrified mango. My father as well gave me two. One as whole rock and the other there is cracked and shows 3 parts and the seed as well. Can anyone direct me in the right direction on who would help in identifying the worth of some this as a petrified mando. Thx

Welcome to the Forum from Arizona. 

We will be happy to look at your rock. Please post well lit and focused photos with a scale in the Fossil ID forum. We do not give monetary values, but we can tell you if it has scientific or educational value.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Here is one of the mango rocks found. The files are to big so I need to send one at a time. 

8C7B4B3B-0E3E-4F90-8C77-FC2946940185.jpeg

Hate to tell you, but it looks like a rock from here.  Mango seeds have prominent ridges running from one end to the other.  I see dots on this one, not ridges.  Soemone who knows rocks better than me might be able to tell you exactly what sort of rock you've got there.  

unfortunately it does not let me upload the other pictures. ill see if I can make the file smaller. I have one that is broken and you can see the seed and 4 pieces of the cracked mango or a similar to a mango. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Simon said:

unfortunately it does not let me upload the other pictures. ill see if I can make the file smaller. I have one that is broken and you can see the seed and 4 pieces of the cracked mango or a similar to a mango. 

More than likely, the cracked one is some type of concretion

Concentric rings or layers are indicative of concretions. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

ok, so here is the pic I sent on the left and one my dad was able to break somehow on the right.  they are similar in size and were found in the same are by him. the cracked is a bit rougher to the touch than the right one and smooth inside on the cracked one.    

7.jpg

Edited by Joe Simon

again here is the first pic on the left and I opened the cracked one on the right. the seed is at the bottom of the pic. any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. thanks 

8.jpg

Edited by Joe Simon

I hate to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure that you're dealing with rocks that have the general shape of mangos here. If you refresh the page or close the thread and open it again you can post more photos. You can also reduce the bytes using a photo program.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 hours ago, Joe Simon said:

again here is the first pic on the left and I opened the cracked one on the right. the seed is at the bottom of the pic. any thoughts would greatly be appreciated. thanks

You're using the wrong thread. You should actually continue your posts here where you started. Nevertheless, it's now absolutely obvious for any experienced fossil collector that these samples are concretions and have nothing to do with mangos other than a resemblance in shape.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

TOPICS MERGED. 

Yup. Concretions. 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If they were fossil mangoes they would be priceless, because they would be the only two known to exist. Unfortunately, they are concretions, which can be had for about twenty dollars per ton, making those two worth about a dime each. The second one is a siderite (ironstone) concretion which is as common as dirt, especially in sedimentary deposits formed in shallow estuarine environments. We have those by the ton in Illinois, commonly known as Mazon Creek concretions, and many contain fossils. Looking at them makes me want to freeze/thaw them to check if they contain fossils.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

If I freeze and thaw out...how long do I freeze?  what would I look for then? 

No markings, it’s solid but soft to the touch. We have another one with just a small piece the broke on one tip and you can see the same like seed inside that one as well like the broken one. 

Search freeze/thaw on this forum. Don't rush in to just doing it. Without an hour or two of research and reading you'll just screw it up if does contain a fossil. 

P.S. -- Sorry about the delayed response; I've had internet access issues for a week.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!