Alaska Scenery while out fossil hunting

AK hiker

IMG_0561.jpg.b86439323880de5233e19fe41e9eca63.jpgIMG_2700.jpg.94a69fa63a02c7e0da804c236a247a9f.jpgIMG_1975.jpg.02c37cbb746bf677ecef457ede8d8d02.jpgIMG_1945.jpg.374e7479e540292dd60eb851d2853bbe.jpg

There are brown bears to watch out for.

IMG_1942.jpg.29113af0a6a233fffc8ffd7f78eb1a75.jpg

As requested some scenery pictures from a previous trips in the Talkeetna Mountains, Alaska, USA . As I get more versed in the strata and fossil nomenclature will include with the posts and finds. Notice the snow still present in June of last year and I am ready to get out again weather permitting which was a no go this weekend so sat and read numerous post on TFF for my education. Love the site and will figure out the decorum and how to interact as this is new to me.

Edited by AK hiker
correct spelling in title
  • I found this Informative 28

Thanks for the pictures! 

As far as how to interact here - well, this is pretty much how you do it! ;) 

Looking forward to more of your contributions. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Beautiful scenery thanks for sharing

I like your companion and his rock climbing shoes 

That is one of the goodest fossil buddies I have seen and probably a excellent bear alarm too huh?

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, AK hiker said:

As requested some scenery pictures from a previous trips in the Talkeetna Mountains, Alaska, USA . As I get more versed in the strata and fossil nomenclature will include with the posts and finds. Notice the snow still present in June of last year and I am ready to get out again weather permitting which was a no go this weekend so sat and read numerous post on TFF for my education. Love the site and will figure out the decorum and how to interact as this is new to me.

Thanks for the scenery :envy: Do you fly or trek in or both?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

What a gorgeous place to fossil hunt!!!  Can't wait to see more photos :popcorn:

Beautiful scenery, good company, and great fossils. What more could you ask for?! :wub::envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Lovely scenery and wonderful finds,thanks for the photo journey

Cephalopods rule!!

I'm about as far away as I can be (maybe it is further to Honolulu),  and unless corrected , TFF has not recently had an active  poster of Alaska scenery and fossils,  about which I start out knowing nothing.  I will enjoy your posts.  Keep them coming!!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Fantastic scenery and ammonites!  :wub: :wub: :wub: :envy:  Also I love the dog! :wub:

Looks like you have to be in pretty excellent shape to get to those ammonites, and even better to get them back home.

Don

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Fantastic scenery and ammonites!  :wub: :wub: :wub: :envy:  Also I love the dog! :wub:

Looks like you have to be in pretty excellent shape to get to those ammonites, and even better to get them back home.

Don

The collecting started out from my interest in fossils, looking for and picking one up from my numerous back country trips hunting, fishing or just exploring all over the world. More recently have been pointedly using looking for fossils to get out and explore mainly Alaska and some in the  western states with exercise as one of the main goals. To give an idea most trips in the Talkeetna Mountains are daylong with 8 to 12 miles hiking and 2,000 to 2,500 feet elevation gain and return to the plane with loaded pack of 40 to 50 pounds of "cool fossils", sometimes this is just one medium sized one. The pictures maybe deceiving as the ammonites are eroding out at the angle of repose of the silt/mudstone and at the limit of walking on which is why I use the ice ax for self arrest in case I slip, even Kobuk gets a little stressed out on the slopes so need to be very mindful of how he is loaded. Glad you are all enjoying the pictures as much as I do and will post a few more from the last two summers. Weather permitting will get out next weekend, make some boot tracks and take some picture to share. 

Bob

• I found this Informative 1

IMG_2024.jpg.f85d4bbdc6ee0cd2a5ec44a0d54a4d9b.jpgFemale ptarmiganIMG_2020.jpg.87e81981089b72eeb04ded694fbcbd8c.jpgDall sheep, all ramsIMG_2011.jpg.86c275f7149f74d132fd9cb5aa2a9158.jpgIMG_2004.jpg.a28c251323f33c28b83623d4d88cff92.jpg5ee04181df0ee_Concretions1(3).jpg.3fe2af29564020992fdf7c35b213f2fd.jpg5ee04180dcd09_Concretions1(1).jpg.a5423cdfa8ec058042ce74b345df711c.jpg

These are from a late May trip landing lower and hiking up due to snow still at higher elevations. The cow moose was in the high country to avoid the brown bears with her twins which worked for only one of them.:smilodon: I have watched a few videos on splitting concretions and would need a Paul Bunyan sized sledge to crack these. 

• I found this Informative 3

I always enjoy posts that include scenery of areas I have never been to. So in addition to your wonderful fossils, thanks for showing us a piece of Alaska. Being a veterinarian, I couldn't help but notice a red bandage in the one frame. Did you have to apply first aide to your dog's paw??? 

Mike