Troodon or Pectinodon tooth?

BonuFrailman

Good afternoon,

I found this tooth on a fossil website for a great price and had to get it!

Now the part I’m struggling with is wondering whether or not it’s a troodon specimen or pectinodon specimen. The pictures are kind of dark so I can’t really see any mesial serrations. 

Basic info:

The tooth comes from the Hell Creek FM

and is 0.12” long.

What do you guys think? I’m leaning towards pectinodon.

20ADCD13-14BC-4841-AEE8-EE0BC30F881F.jpeg

2DF424D2-6799-43C2-BD83-96612FE280C7.jpeg

I don't know if there is a definitive way to distinguish teeth from Pectinodon and those of Troodon if you consider it valid, I believe Pectinodon is generally used to describe any Troodontid tooth from the Hell Creek and Lance fm.

First do you have a locality where this tooth was found to support the claim its from the Hell Creek Fm. 

Pectinodon teeth can be distinguished from teeth similar to Troodon formosus and its definitely a valid taxon.   I've included a figure from Sankey and Baszio book Vertebrate Microfossils Assemblage.   The difficulty comes with very small troodon teeth since Pectinodon teeth typically do not exceed 5-6 mm.  

Having the tip missing on your tooth makes it a bit more difficult but I believe your tooth is a juvie Troodon.  If you look at the cross-section of the teeth in the figure shown below they are super compressed and I don't see that in your specimen more almond shape.  Next compare the denticles and tooth shape of your specimen to the different jaw positions of Pectinodon it comes closest to the posterior denrary teeth G, H but the position of the denticles dont match.

Pect1b.thumb.jpg.7ebed65f1a9d45990df9c97a12f84cc7.jpg.a8a1010fa2897c1830057db5345ff7c1.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

First do you have a locality where this tooth was found to support the claim its from the Hell Creek Fm. 

Pectinodon teeth can be distinguished from teeth similar to Troodon formosus and its definitely a valid taxon.   I've included a figure from Sankey and Baszio book Vertebrate Microfossils Assemblage.   The difficulty comes with very small troodon teeth since Pectinodon teeth typically do not exceed 5-6 mm.  

Having the tip missing on your tooth makes it a bit more difficult but I believe your tooth is a juvie Troodon.  If you look at the cross-section of the teeth in the figure shown below they are super compressed and I don't see that in your specimen more almond shape.  Next compare the denticles and tooth shape of your specimen to the different jaw positions of Pectinodon it comes closest to the posterior denrary teeth G, H but the position of the denticles dont match.

Pect1b.thumb.jpg.7ebed65f1a9d45990df9c97a12f84cc7.jpg.a8a1010fa2897c1830057db5345ff7c1.jpg

Sadly no, I don't have the locality. The seller doesn't seem to understand the question I'm asking so I think I'm out of luck there. When I receive it should I take a picture of the cross section?

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Okay, photo cannot hurt

Great! I'll make sure to take a picture when I receive it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 10:57 AM, Troodon said:

Okay, photo cannot hurt

It finally arrived, these are the best I could take with a jewelers loupe.

Really did not need additional photos but these are so out of focus I cannot even tell what it is.   My ID stands with my initial post.

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Really did not need additional photos but these are so out of focus I cannot even tell what it is.   My ID stands with my initial post.

I was trying to take a picture of the cross section but it was really hard for me to focus on it while holding the loupe.

I really need to get a microscope:heartylaugh: