Finally some success!

Brian-miller

Well my daughter and I have been hard at work hunting we got into it after her birthday and had a tiny bit of success at the beach but found a much better area to dig in the nanaimo group strata. I got "west coast fossils" the book so we could figure out what we were finding and finally these last few outings we are finding some great stuff! My only sadness is I found this huge bivalve but I dont think there is anyway to get it out without damaging it! Lifted a large 5" 2x3' slab off the top of this larger rock and we found this which was pretty awesome first large fossil we have found 

IMG_20200610_155023_221.jpg

20200610_161142.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

How many clam strips do you think you could get from a clam that size? :oO: Awesome finds!

Nice finds!  I'll tag @Wrangellian - he's also on Vancouver Island and he might like to see what you and your daughter have found.

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

How many clam strips do you think you could get from a clam that size? :oO: Awesome finds!

Hahah I know right!! 

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Nice finds!  I'll tag @Wrangellian - he's also on Vancouver Island and he might like to see what you and your daughter have found.

Sure glad to show him where I found it didnt want to damage it getting it out so figured I'd leave it for more skilled hands or others to enjoy stumbling across

• I found this Informative 1

Good finds - Inoceramus (big one) and Sphenoceramus, not sure which species. I've seen my share of these - as a group they're pretty common in the Nanaimo Gp but it's nice when you find anything like a complete valve rather than bits and pieces (esp. if it includes the umbo/hinge), and you're right, it's often hard to collect a big Ino, but I've done it a few times! Difficult to impossible when on a massive chunk of sandstone, but if there is any possibility of chiseling it out in pieces you can glue back together at home, that's better than nothing (assuming you think the work is worthwhile). The Inoceramids (Ino's + Spheno's) are useful in stratigraphy but I'm not sure if the various species are fully understood yet... must ask Jim Haggart. He is planning on revising them, I understand.

The ammonite could be Gaudryceras but I can't tell for sure.

• I found this Informative 5

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Good finds - Inoceramus (big one) and Sphenoceramus, not sure which species. I've seen my share of these - as a group they're pretty common in the Nanaimo Gp but it's nice when you find anything like a complete valve rather than bits and pieces (esp. if it includes the umbo/hinge), and you're right, it's often hard to collect a big Ino, but I've done it a few times! Difficult to impossible when on a massive chunk of sandstone, but if there is any possibility of chiseling it out in pieces you can glue back together at home, that's better than nothing (assuming you think the work is worthwhile). The Inoceramids (Ino's + Spheno's) are useful in stratigraphy but I'm not sure if the various species are fully understood yet... must ask Jim Haggart. He is planning on revising them, I understand.

The ammonite could be Gaudryceras but I can't tell for sure.

That's awesome thanks for the info we were looking through our wescoast fossils book last night to see what that large one was. The sandstone seems to have stuck to what's left of the shell so unsure what the under side of the ino is like  I think I'll go back with some wider chisels and see if I can get a crack running under it and bring the slab section its in back I'll post updates if I manage to get it out. 

It looks like the shell is missing from the exposed surfaces in your pic, but more of it runs down into the rock at the umbo ('beak') end. If you took any material off to expose this much, the shell will be stuck to that, I bet.

WCF has a pic of one from Hornby, which is a little younger, and it is ID'd as I. vancouverensis. Yours and the other ones in the Haslam Formation will be Inoceramus but as I say, not sure if vancouverensis applies there too or if they will have a different species name.