Agnatha from China?

Crazyhen

This specimen is about 16cm in length from Guizhou in Triassic formation.  Any idea if it's a primitive agnathan?

IMG_6679.JPG

On 6/11/2020 at 8:06 PM, Crazyhen said:

This specimen is about 16cm in length from Guizhou in Triassic formation.  Any idea if it's a primitive agnathan?

IMG_6679.JPG

Are you asking if that is a piece of body armor (shields) of one of the heterostracans or osteostracans?  Both groups were extinct by the end of the Devonian.

11 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Are you asking if that is a piece of body armor (shields) of one of the heterostracans or osteostracans?  Both groups were extinct by the end of the Devonian.

Yes but I might be wrong as to the formation, it might be Devonian instead of Triassic.  Any idea what it is ?

16 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

Yes but I might be wrong as to the formation, it might be Devonian instead of Triassic.  Any idea what it is ?

It's a partial and it's weathered and I have just general knowledge of those fishes though I have a feeling that is not a piece of one of them.  You need someone with more experience.  You should search this forum for agnathans, heterostracans (Heterostraci) and osteostracans (Osteostraci).  Maybe someone will get an idea from Guizhou.  I know Triassic keichousaurs come from that province but I'm not sure that is the same matrix.

@oilshale

• I found this Informative 2

Sorry, I'm gonna have to pass. I don't have the knowledge. Perhaps an isolated head bone of a (Triassic) fish, e.g. a frontal or a parasphenoid? I don't think agnathan.

Kopfknochen.thumb.JPG.3803c745306b0ef77d9cf0672fd97881.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).