Very large seed?

Billymachi

This is an un-associated surface find from Brushy Basin so no context to draw on.   No discernible internal structure when looking at the fractured end.    Obvious symmetry and taper to a flat point.    I have not found anything seed-like on the internet that is this large or shaped quite like this.   So I am excited to hear back from the forum. 

I am new to the Fossil Forum and look forward to sharing in the bigger brain of paleontology. 

5ee3b1fa84e72_sideview.thumb.jpg.a20afcda04fea7af385f21054e2e0512.jpg5ee3b21d0fba8_topview.thumb.jpg.54c45cb7ebf1b2c360d7063493943740.jpg

end view.jpg

Thanks for commenting.    What part of the tree do you think it came from?  The striking shape created by the grain is what keeps me intrigued.

Wood is not so common a find in this area and most of it can be traced upslope to a source log/stump.   This piece was a singularity.

The black material is the typical find and normally has calcite crystals, no wood grain, and readily reduces to rubble.   If you did not trace back to the source you might not suspect its petrified wood at all.

There are occasional finds of the brown wood which has dark gray amorphous insides.  Granted this has a lot of the same characteristics of my "seed". 

The unique shape is what made me think it was something special but you are probably right that it is just one of nature's tricks.

other wood.jpg