Big Brook, NJ Toe bone (Phalanx) ID

FossilizedJello

Here are all my finds from big brook. WHAT A DAY ...arrowheads,toe bones, big shark teeth, misc

I just need the toe bone ID

toe.jpg toe1.jpg toe2.jpg toe3.jpg toe4.jpg toe5.jpg

toe6.jpg toe7.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1

Looks like you had a great day; fantastic finds. In the future, it may be better to post this trip report in the Fossil Hunting Trips section of the forum. That toe bone looks nice. I am unsure whether your toe bone comes from a Cretaceous theropod or from a modern (Holocene or Pleistocene) organism. The preservation looks spot on for it being Cretaceous, and I would certainly get that bone checked out. If it begins to crumble over a few days or so you'll know it's modern. The "canoe"-like tooth you have is from a crushing fish, namely Anomoeodus phaseolus. It appears that you have a Trionyx (turtle) shell fragment in your second to last photo below the small tooth to the right of the bone. Additionally, to the leftmost corner of your last photo you have a ray tooth from Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis. Nice arrowhead too. Good job.

• I found this Informative 4

: )

On 6/12/2020 at 9:12 PM, Trevor said:

Looks like you had a great day; fantastic finds. In the future, it may be better to post this trip report in the Fossil Hunting Trips section of the forum. That toe bone looks nice. I am unsure whether your toe bone comes from a Cretaceous theropod or from a modern (Holocene or Pleistocene) organism. The preservation looks spot on for it being Cretaceous, and I would certainly get that bone checked out. If it begins to crumble over a few days or so you'll know it's modern. The "canoe"-like tooth you have is from a crushing fish, namely Anomoeodus phaseolus. It appears that you have a Trionyx (turtle) shell fragment in your second to last photo below the small tooth to the right of the bone. Additionally, to the leftmost corner of your last photo you have a ray tooth from Brachyrhizodus wichitaensis. Nice arrowhead too. Good job.

Hi, thank you. I figured I would post the other pics while getting the toe bone IDed. Next time, I will post it separately.

The toe bone does not appear to be modern. Gosh darn it is hard to tell at the moment, but now that I'm home with it,  I would definitely say fossil.

Cannot scrape any away , it's heavy,   .5 of an oz compared to a oz of a modern bone 5x the size and can say it will not crumble in the next year .

Did know about the turtle but not the species so thanks on that.

Yes the drumfish tooth is huge. Thanks for your post.

• I found this Informative 1

Very interesting toe bone. Probably is theropod, something like Dryptosaurus.

@non-remanié @Troodon

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

9 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Very interesting toe bone. Probably is theropod, something like Dryptosaurus.

@non-remanié @Troodon

Hoping, shame its broken too but its still a great find.

• Enjoyed 1

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Like to see straight in photos of the phalanx of all sides, no hands please 

Hi, sorry what do you mean by straight in? :DOH:

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not at an angle like these if a Dryptosaurus

Screenshot_20200612-185906_Drive.jpg.7d98cd988d51a5ad7f0884317362ae6d.jpg

Here are some extras but the ones that will help you the most are next

toeeeeeeee.jpg

toeeeeeeee5.jpg

toeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks, Sorry need the other side of your last photo looked odd from your initial post 

Whoops missed the pic in my mail last night of that side. Here you are. Because of the break, the bottom left goes on an upward angle, but im pretty sure if it wasnt broken it wouldnt.

111111.jpg

Thanks, my read on the bone is that its not theropod but dont known what it is or if its even Cretaceous.   Theropod phalanx have ligament pits on both sides lacking here in this image.  Although hollow the internal structure is not smooth and the proximal end is a bit off.   

toe3.jpg.72c6455c4c385d797609d9d0d1da3738.jpg.149ef32581fd7ce41eccdeb787a6e516.jpg

On 6/13/2020 at 10:06 AM, Troodon said:

Thanks, my read on the bone is that its not theropod but dont known what it is or if its even Cretaceous.   Theropod phalanx have ligament pits on both sides lacking here in this image.  Although hollow the internal structure is not smooth and the proximal end is a bit off.   

toe3.jpg.72c6455c4c385d797609d9d0d1da3738.jpg.149ef32581fd7ce41eccdeb787a6e516.jpg

Darn, Too bad to hear.

Maybe its more modern then we think.

• 8 months later...
On 6/13/2020 at 9:19 AM, FossilizedJello said:

darn..sucks to hear. maybe its more modern then we think

By modern I'm not sure what you mean. 

This is very obviously mineralized and is at least over a few thousand years, But I'm willing to bet a few million. Probably Miocene or Pliocene.

It wouldn’t surprise if it was Pleistocene, which still isn’t modern. I’m really unsure though. Maybe Carnivorous Mammal?? Tricky one for sure.

It's either Pleistocene or modern. Most likely an old modern deer bone.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

That toe bone looks like either big deer or elk to me at a glance.  Pleistocene probably.