Arizona ID

Kaibabian

11 hours ago, Kaibabian said:

Yes! What this?

4A6A1670-E73E-402B-9AF2-A0AF44ACF4A0_1_105_c.jpeg  31617258-4F68-42B2-9EEA-975B92BDB498_1_105_c.jpeg

I guess that it might be a bivalve or brachiopod. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

It is completely unlike any other fossil I have found. It's hard to tell, but the mold is part of the fossil. You can see how it flairs around the bivalve looking thing. The shape of the mold reminds me of a nautiloid. You can see it better here.

60ACA52A-661D-4EAB-9EB2-EB7CF6293445_1_105_c.jpeg

11 hours ago, Kaibabian said:

It is completely unlike any other fossil I have found. It's hard to tell, but the mold is part of the fossil. You can see how it flairs around the bivalve looking thing. The shape of the mold reminds me of a nautiloid. You can see it better here.

60ACA52A-661D-4EAB-9EB2-EB7CF6293445_1_105_c.jpeg

I am just starting to collect from the Kaibab. It looks like most fossils are molds. One way to help our brains figure out what this is, is to create a rubber mold of it similar to what was done in the best paper on Kaibab mollusks: 

Chronic, Halka. (1952). Molluscan Fauna from the Permian Kaibab Formation, Walnut Canyon, Arizona. Geological Society of America Bulletin 63. 

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I can't find that article for free. The link you had is broken. I even have access through JSTOR. What's the coolest thing you have found so far in Kaibab? I saw the sponge you posted. That's like my yard! I have some large nautiloids that I will post pictures of when I figure how to do that. Do I have to wait to have access to create a members gallery?

1 hour ago, Kaibabian said:

Do I have to wait to have access to create a members gallery?

Welcome to TFF, finally.  :)

Yes; creating a Gallery Album is a spam prevention, delayed permission.  In the meantime, the Member Collections sub forum is a good place to display your identified fossils.  ;)

These posts were split from your intro and moved to the Fossil ID section.  

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ