Large tooth-like tubular fossil?

JB_101

Hi all from the UK. Brand new to this kind of forum, so please bear with me.

Basically, I have a whole bunch of fossils I have picked up all over Britain. They fascinate me. Always wanted to get them ID'd but didn't know how. Then out walking, I found this thing the other day, and it's just too intriguing! So here I am! :)

I was walking our dogs, along the edge of arable farm land - mid Lincolnshire. its really rocky land and the ploughs pull up all sorts. I found this horn/tooth shaped rock with a different coloured, darker core going through it. It's now around 65mm long, but looks like it has lost some off both ends.

I have tried to capture as best I can. Any thoughts appreciated. The cross section is the 'bottom' - the fatter end. The other one is the break at the top. 

Thanks

James

IMG_20200613_132144.jpg

IMG_20200613_132449.jpg

IMG_20200613_132516.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Not a tooth, as there is no enamel. 

This actually looks like a flint or chert nodule, to me. 

Wait for some more opinions, though. 

@TqB

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks! The core made me think it must be organic. But I know literally nothing about this stuff! Keen to learn though

Welcome to the forum! It looks like flint to me as well.

Here is a website I used when I lived in England to help me find fossil bearing locations. https://ukfossils.co.uk/category/lincolnshire/  It appears Lincolnshire isn’t great for fossil hunting, but not impossible. :)

Happy hunting!

Haha, no it's terrible.

Completely 2-dimensional County! It looks like Flint to be fair. Bordering Norfolk is a massive Flint area (although still of course famous for the mammoth in the cliff) . I just didn't realise flint could come in such uniform shapes like that!

Thanks for the replies. I'll put some of my holiday finds on soon :)

JB

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, JB_101 said:

Bordering Norfolk is a massive Flint area

7 minutes ago, JB_101 said:

I just didn't realise flint could come in such uniform shapes like that!

Tell me about it lol! I used to live in north Suffolk, less than a mile from Grimes Graves and could walk across the Suffolk-Norfolk border in less than 10 minutes. There was flint as far as the eye could see. :heartylaugh:

9 minutes ago, JB_101 said:

although still of course famous for the mammoth in the cliff

The West Runton elephant. :wub: I went there once for light fossil hunting with my son. I only came back with some belemnites, but it was still fun. C0191226-2FAD-4952-87D8-513CBD6D8C15.thumb.jpeg.93d6f431210ed52aeff4cab11b4bdf59.jpeg

Haha awesome! I know it well. I spent many a childhood holiday on that North Coast! Also a Norwich fan! :)