Oh what Frill

bowfin

Fossil dig in Wyoming, finally finished prep work. Glass of wine for my hard work. Couldn’t find the photo from the field, dug it out of hard sandstone and all the vein grooves were full of the sandstone. Love the grooves, some are very deep. 

2E7359D1-2764-4C0C-A3CC-3C421CBA9E48.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

15 minutes ago, hrguy54 said:

Um, please describe what it is for us in other parts of the country/world.

The tags say it is a triceratops frill, but tags are easily overlooked so it’s best to put pertinent info in the body of the text. I forget to look at those things all the time. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Sorry, this is a piece of Triceratops frill that I found in Wyoming. No glue was used in the restoration of this piece. Dental picks and Paleo Tools Aero airscribe. The vein grooves were full off sandstone. I like this piece because of the deep blood vein grooves and that it has an occipital on the top edge. It’s pretty much 9 inches by 7 inches. I found a larger piece that same day in another area and had to be removed in 65pieces. I have put it together and I will try and post the process I went through to restore it. Cleaning, glueing, pinning, putty and paint. Turned out great. 

• I found this Informative 1