Big Brook, NJ fossil or artifact!?!?!?!?!

JLayton

BIG BROOK PRESERVE, NJ.  Creek fossil.  June 14th
I was able to identify all of the fossils we found on our hunt yesterday, including a nice goblin shark tooth, but I found one item that is a mystery! I attached pictures. I originally thought it was Lenni Lenape money... but realized wampum is made of shells and much larger. I then thought it was a Dutch colonial button.. but doesn’t look like any of the ones online.   Is possible to be some sort of “bead”? Or petrified wood button? It is very very light in weight.. but solid.. and the imprint on the one side is a perfect thumb fit.  Or is a fossil? Is a small fish or shark vertebrate??!?!?! (I didn't think so, because it seems to flat!)

Thank you sooo much for any insight and ideas! 

IMG_8828.jpg

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8830.jpg

Edited by JLayton

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I think this is one of the ironstone/bog-iron concretions that the brooks are full of. 

The holes could have been caused by boring clams, or erosion. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Can you determine the specific gravity of your specimen?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Vaguely in the shape of a heart. While this might be a concretion, I wouldn't give up on it so soon.

Welcome to TFF!

I agree with Tim (FossilDude19), this definitely seems like an iron concretion, I come across a lot of them here on the Zandmotor (Netherlands) too. It does have a weird shape though, so maybe it's been tampered with (perhaps indirectly) by humans? Either way, it's not a fossil, sorry :( 

By the way, here's what a fish vertebra looks like:

IMG_1089.thumb.JPG.234db2fda3fbca7c8901c7c90e5c6993.JPG

IMG_0960.thumb.JPG.893d4634c8ba2b15b8225cc150204ae9.JPG

They have a very regular cone-shaped cavity on each side, with concentric circles often clearly visible. After you've found your first one, recognizing your next ones becomes very easy!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I would go with ironstone concretion with pholad borings (Gastrochaenolites). I think, bivalves can't bore iron concretion.

Tim's idea is good, but I'm interested on how hard  is the material of the specimen. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library