Brazos River Pleistocene Find

GPayton

I was walking the Brazos River just southwest of Houston today since the water level is low enough to expose a good amount of gravel bars. Didn't find much until I finally found a spot to turn around and head back at when I spotted this bone poking out of the sand. I know that most of the Pleistocene age fossils in the Brazos aren't old enough to be mineralized, but this one definitely is - it's nice and solid. The part sticking out of the sand is white and the bottom is a little darker, kind of a brownish color. It might not be all that clear in the pictures, but there's a rounded groove on the "bottom" side that looks like it could have been the location of a ball and socket joint in the past. There's also some sand-like accretions on the edge of the bone containing some small pieces of gravel. 

I've always heard of people finding mammoth teeth and sloth bones on the river after hurricanes or big storms but have never had much luck myself. Thankfully it seems like that's changed! 

Any help on an ID would be much appreciated. 

IMG_0123.jpg

This looks like a lot of the mineralized fossils  that I've found in the Brazos, but to me at least if looks to be too incomplete for any kind of an ID.  Hopefully it keeps you encouraged to keep looking!

• I found this Informative 1