Possible Triceratops Brow Horn???

scragry

Hi,

I bought this fossil at a flea market but am having trouble identifying what it could. I believe it to be the brow horn of a triceratops but i'm not too sure.

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

too curved to be a horn, but it could be part of the nose/beak.  I see some pretty typical ceratopsian texture on some of the pix.  But honestly I would like to see more texture on it to be sure it is ceratopsian.

• I found this Informative 1

Do you have any clue of locality where its from to even consider that its Ceratopsian or Cretaceous.   I agree with jpc the inside curve a bit to acute to be a brow horn they typically have a gradual taper.  Can you provide aditional pictures of ends and outer curved side.

10 hours ago, jpc said:

too curved to be a horn, but it could be part of the nose/beak.  I see some pretty typical ceratopsian texture on some of the pix.  But honestly I would like to see more texture on it to be sure it is ceratopsian.

here are some closer up pictures

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Do you have any clue of locality where its from to even consider that its Ceratopsian or Cretaceous.   I agree with jpc the inside curve a bit to acute to be a brow horn they typically have a gradual taper.  Can you provide aditional pictures of ends and outer curved side.

here are some pictures of the ends and the outer curve

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

The texture does look Ceratopsian but the shape of the end views is not consistent with what I would expect from brow horns.  No idea what you have. 

46 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The texture does look Ceratopsian but the shape of the end views is not consistent with what I would expect from brow horns.  No idea what you have. 

My thoughts exactly.  

Reminds me of the nasal horn of "Monoclonius recurvicornis"

image.thumb.png.45981a3bb457d32e92f2fccc19ffaae1.png

Or perhaps a centrosaurine parietal process

image.thumb.png.d0a1a623b7f5710fc966d7639016b909.png

But without any information about where it's from (which understandably may not exactly be high priority at a flea market), it's hard to be confident in any positive identification.

• I found this Informative 1