How to tell between angustiden and megs?

FossilizedJello

Its still very hard to me to tell between the two when discussing the 1.5-3" range. I know angustidens have cusp but not all of them necessarily do. I know angustidens are also more triangle shaped but really that is not given as megs can also have that depending on tooth location. I attached a picture of some mixed ones and I still dont know which are which. My guesses would be the yellow top one, the black one right next to it, and the bottom left black tooth. The rest are megs?

Open to discussion :)

111111.thumb.jpg.0fbbccfbeffea07ca277dccde25daed5.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I think all Carcharocles angustidens do have cusps and if it doesn't, it means they broke off. It's Carcharocles chubutensis that can be a bit more vague between it and megs with vestigial cusps.

• I found this Informative 2

Both are actually currently classified under Otodus. The ones I circled in red are definitely Angustiden, I think the one in yellow might be a broken angy as well, but I'm not sure. The rest I'm pretty sure are megs.

20200616_205325.jpg.6f2cac5f79ebcd729ef0eedbbe5ff20c.jpg

The differences are small and subtle, the shape of the bourlette is a good indicator if I remember right. A good way to help pick up on the difference that helped me was to watch blackriverfossils' videos. Eventually after seeing enough of both you start to unconsciously pick up on the differences. Plus it's great entertainment :P

11 hours ago, Kikokuryu said:

I think all Carcharocles angustidens do have cusps and if it doesn't, it means they broke off. It's Carcharocles chubutensis that can be a bit more vague between it and megs with vestigial cusps.

Yeah, right chubs are also another tough one in the mix between megs and chubs. Angustiden seems actually easier to distinguish once you know what to look for.

9 hours ago, Huntonia said:

Both are actually currently classified under Otodus. The ones I circled in red are definitely Angustiden, I think the one in yellow might be a broken angy as well, but I'm not sure. The rest I'm pretty sure are megs.

20200616_205325.jpg.6f2cac5f79ebcd729ef0eedbbe5ff20c.jpg

The differences are small and subtle, the shape of the bourlette is a good indicator if I remember right. A good way to help pick up on the difference that helped me was to watch blackriverfossils' videos. Eventually after seeing enough of both you start to unconsciously pick up on the differences. Plus it's great entertainment :P

Ah yeah, I totally see what you are saying and have to agree with your ID. Along with the bourlette though, I think the enamel is very telling. Yeah I watch his vids sometimes :D. How about the upper yellow tooth. The enamel and shape just looks different from the other megs? Perhaps its a chub? Btw, thanks for your information.

Shellseeker is right. You need to know the formation that these teeth come from to determine an age. Unfortunately, morphology tells us very little except that the tooth is in the Otodus genus. O. angustidens can have no cusps and O. megalodon can have cusps. These teeth represent chronospecies that evidence gradual change over time and substantial individual variation in any given tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

32 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

They might ALL be C. Megalodon. Where did they come from?

There is a wealth of info in this thread

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/71286-peace-river-surface-finds/

and this one:

I dont own these fortunately. Just figured it was a good example. Good thread, will check.

23 minutes ago, Rustdee said:

Shellseeker is right. You need to know the formation that these teeth come from to determine an age. Unfortunately, morphology tells us very little except that the tooth is in the Otodus genus. O. angustidens can have no cusps and O. megalodon can have cusps. These teeth represent chronospecies that evidence gradual change over time and substantial individual variation in any given tooth.

Didnt realize megs can have cusp, very interesting.

111111ff.jpg